Jul 7, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Remember that story in Sports Illustrated a couple of weeks ago about the Astros’ being the “2017 World Series Champs?” Well, that was an on-paper thing. Baseball has this habit, however, of not playing out on paper. And the biggest off-paper thing are pitcher injuries. Like this:
No. 1 pick brady aiken is said to have an elbow ligament issue. astros look to discount deal. story coming on @CBSSports
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) July 7, 2014
That’s some seriously bad news for both Aiken and the Astros.
Bad news for Aiken in that he had agreed to a $6.5 million bonus with Houston, and now that looks to be in jeopardy.
Bad news for the Astros in that he’s the third straight number one overall pick for the Astros and the third straight to experience a bump in the road. They selected shortstop Carlos Correa first overall in 2012 and pitcher Mark Appel last year. Correa fractured his leg last month and is out for the season. Appel has struggled in the low level minors and has recently had a bout with thumb problems.
You can draft perfectly and develop perfectly, but sometimes the fates don’t want to comply.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)