Jul 7, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Toronto first baseman Edwin Encarnacion is headed to the disabled list with a strained quadriceps muscle, which actually qualifies as relatively good news considering how bad his injury appeared to be when he was helped off the field Saturday.
Unfortunately it still means Encarnacion will miss the All-Star game after being an easy choice for a reserve spot by manager John Farrell. No word yet on who’ll replace him on the American League roster, but to replace Encarnacion on their roster the Blue Jays have called up Nolan Reimold, whom they claimed off waivers from the Orioles yesterday.
It’ll be impossible to replace Encarnacion’s bat. Not only has he hit .277 with 26 homers and a .959 OPS in 88 games this season to rank among the league’s top five in on-base percentage, slugging percentage, OPS, total bases, homers, and RBIs, he’s been one of the best power hitters in baseball dating back to 2012.
Reimold was once a top prospect, but injuries have derailed his career and the Orioles let the 30-year-old go for nothing rather than using him as a part-time bench player.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)