Jul 7, 2014, 6:19 PM EST
Diamondbacks right-hander Bronson Arroyo recently resumed throwing after he was diagnosed with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow last month, but he told Steve Gilbert of MLB.com late this afternoon that he will undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
With pitchers going down left and right this year, we really shouldn’t be surprised by another pitcher headed for Tommy John surgery at this point, but it’s still striking given Arroyo’s well-documented durability. The 37-year-old averaged 211 innings per season from 2005-2013 and threw at least 199 innings in all of them. He posted a 4.08 ERA in 14 starts with the Diamondbacks prior to landing on the DL for the first time in his career last month. It turns out he made six of them with a torn UCL.
Tommy John surgery typically carries a timetable of around 12 months, so Arroyo figures to be sidelined through midseason next year. He’s owed $9.5 million in 2015 while his contract includes an $11 million club option for 2016 or a $4.5 million buyout.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 17
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 73
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)