Jul 7, 2014, 7:42 PM EST
Carlos Beltran is already limited due to the situation with his right elbow, but now an issue from his past could be cropping up. According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Beltran is out of tonight’s lineup after he reported some mild swelling in the back of his right knee.
Of course, Beltran had surgery on the very same knee in January of 2010 as a member of the Mets, so there is some reason for concern. He’s scheduled to see the Indians’ team doctor tonight at Progressive Field, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi said no further tests have been scheduled.
“We’re going to give him a day off. I’ll find out later on if he’s available to pinch-hit,” Girardi said. “He’ll see their doctor today and see what they think. Not a lot, but just a little bit.”
Beltran, who signed a three-year, $45 million contract with the Yankees over the winter, is batting just .216/.271/.401 with nine home runs and 28 RBI over 255 plate appearances this season. The 37-year-old has hit .192 with four homers and a .618 OPS in 28 games since coming off the DL about a month ago.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)