Jul 7, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran is already limited due to the situation with his right elbow, but now an issue from his past could be cropping up. According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Beltran is out of tonight’s lineup after he reported some mild swelling in the back of his right knee.
Of course, Beltran had surgery on the very same knee in January of 2010 as a member of the Mets, so there is some reason for concern. He’s scheduled to see the Indians’ team doctor tonight at Progressive Field, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi said no further tests have been scheduled.
“We’re going to give him a day off. I’ll find out later on if he’s available to pinch-hit,” Girardi said. “He’ll see their doctor today and see what they think. Not a lot, but just a little bit.”
Beltran, who signed a three-year, $45 million contract with the Yankees over the winter, is batting just .216/.271/.401 with nine home runs and 28 RBI over 255 plate appearances this season. The 37-year-old has hit .192 with four homers and a .618 OPS in 28 games since coming off the DL about a month ago.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 37
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 85
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)