Jul 7, 2014, 7:42 PM EST
Carlos Beltran is already limited due to the situation with his right elbow, but now an issue from his past could be cropping up. According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Beltran is out of tonight’s lineup after he reported some mild swelling in the back of his right knee.
Of course, Beltran had surgery on the very same knee in January of 2010 as a member of the Mets, so there is some reason for concern. He’s scheduled to see the Indians’ team doctor tonight at Progressive Field, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi said no further tests have been scheduled.
“We’re going to give him a day off. I’ll find out later on if he’s available to pinch-hit,” Girardi said. “He’ll see their doctor today and see what they think. Not a lot, but just a little bit.”
Beltran, who signed a three-year, $45 million contract with the Yankees over the winter, is batting just .216/.271/.401 with nine home runs and 28 RBI over 255 plate appearances this season. The 37-year-old has hit .192 with four homers and a .618 OPS in 28 games since coming off the DL about a month ago.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)