Jul 7, 2014, 7:42 PM EST
Carlos Beltran is already limited due to the situation with his right elbow, but now an issue from his past could be cropping up. According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Beltran is out of tonight’s lineup after he reported some mild swelling in the back of his right knee.
Of course, Beltran had surgery on the very same knee in January of 2010 as a member of the Mets, so there is some reason for concern. He’s scheduled to see the Indians’ team doctor tonight at Progressive Field, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi said no further tests have been scheduled.
“We’re going to give him a day off. I’ll find out later on if he’s available to pinch-hit,” Girardi said. “He’ll see their doctor today and see what they think. Not a lot, but just a little bit.”
Beltran, who signed a three-year, $45 million contract with the Yankees over the winter, is batting just .216/.271/.401 with nine home runs and 28 RBI over 255 plate appearances this season. The 37-year-old has hit .192 with four homers and a .618 OPS in 28 games since coming off the DL about a month ago.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)