Guy sues ESPN for making fun of him when he fell asleep at a Yankees game

Jul 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

lawsuit gavel

I see almost every bit if silly and stupid quasi-baseball news that one can possibly see, but I somehow missed the fact that, back in April, a fan at a Yankees Red Sox game fell asleep and was captured snoozing by ESPN’s cameras. John Kruk and Dan Shulman apparently cracked wise about him. And, because it was the Red Sox and Yankees, apparently some ESPNNew York.com columnist referenced the snoozing fan in the service of what I assume to be a tortured metaphor the following day.

But like I said, that was nearly three months ago and hardly anyone noticed, right? Well, they’ll notice now, because the sleeping dude is suing ESPN. From Consumerist:

The man is suing Major League Baseball Advanced Media, ESPN New York, the New York Yankees, and ESPN announcers Dan Shulman and John Kruk, in Bronx County Supreme Court, reports Courthouse News. He’s seeking $10 million in damages for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress . . . As a result of the photos, commentary and social media attention, the plaintiff claims he was shown in a false light, that his reputation was damaged and it’s no one’s business if he was napping.

Well, I didn’t have much of a thought about this guy’s reputation before, but I certainly do now.

1. samiratou - Jul 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Mr. Rector, meet Ms. Streisand. Ms. Streisand, Mr. Rector.

His lawyer apparently passed the Bar last year (somehow) but either cheated or is banking on the “no press is bad press” method of building his business.

Sheesh.

2. ch0psuey - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:36 AM

Pretty much sums up what my mental picture of a Yankees fan looks like, interesting.

3. countertrey44 - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:59 AM

TFB you win everything ever for that Costanza pic

4. 18thstreet - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM

“It seems that what has happened here is that Rector has mistaken mean internet comments for ESPN- and MLB-endorsed defamation.”

I think the lawsuit should be thrown out, but it is NOT ridiculous to hold a publisher — in these cases, ESPN and MLB — responsible for the things they publish. This site is a notable exception, but Internet comments are by and large a cesspool, and publishers ought to monitor what it appearing on their site. They are the ones who choose to publish comments.

• 4cornersfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I gather you are not a big fan of the reading material at the check-out counter?

5. phillyphannn83 - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM

They just read the fine print on the back of the game ticket on ESPN and this guy clearly has no legal claim against anyone.

6. metitometin - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I’m assuming this guy is unemployed, lives in his mother’s basement and is just looking for a way to make a quick buck rather than getting a real job. I’m assuming this idiot will be laughed out of the courtroom.

• 4cornersfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM

You are describing his lawyer?

Three legends off to Cooperstown