Jul 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
I see almost every bit if silly and stupid quasi-baseball news that one can possibly see, but I somehow missed the fact that, back in April, a fan at a Yankees Red Sox game fell asleep and was captured snoozing by ESPN’s cameras. John Kruk and Dan Shulman apparently cracked wise about him. And, because it was the Red Sox and Yankees, apparently some ESPNNew York.com columnist referenced the snoozing fan in the service of what I assume to be a tortured metaphor the following day.
But like I said, that was nearly three months ago and hardly anyone noticed, right? Well, they’ll notice now, because the sleeping dude is suing ESPN. From Consumerist:
The man is suing Major League Baseball Advanced Media, ESPN New York, the New York Yankees, and ESPN announcers Dan Shulman and John Kruk, in Bronx County Supreme Court, reports Courthouse News. He’s seeking $10 million in damages for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress . . . As a result of the photos, commentary and social media attention, the plaintiff claims he was shown in a false light, that his reputation was damaged and it’s no one’s business if he was napping.
Well, I didn’t have much of a thought about this guy’s reputation before, but I certainly do now.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)