HBT Daily: The various levels of All-Star snubbery

Jul 7, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

I’m not coming off my position that worrying about All-Star snubs is a waste of time, but I did want to talk about the various levels of snubbery today, and did so in today’s HBT Daily segment.

Note: I have a new poster behind me. Instead of the old World Series programs I have an uncut sheet of 1985 Topps cards. Note: I now realize it is crooked. I’ll fix it before tomorrow. Bah.

1. thomas844 - Jul 7, 2014 at 3:22 PM

My votes are going to Sale and Rizzo. Sale because his dominance this season has been impossible to miss. Richards has been great, Sale has a lower ERA and a 6.0 K/BB ratio compared to Richards’s 2.90.

I’m going with Rizzo in the NL because he has the highest OPS of the 5 contenders and the most homers. Plus, I’d like to see him compete in the Derby. (I know you don’t have to be an All-Star to be in the Derby but a lot players only choose to compete in that if they are an All-Star)

As for the guy who didn’t even make the Final Vote card, I say Alfredo Simon should have made the NL team. He has been the season’s biggest surprise with an ERA of 2.78 and 11 wins. And say what you want about wins, but with how poorly the Reds offense has performed this season overall and pitching most of your games in that bandbox in Cincinnati, 11 wins is darned impressive.

• thomas844 - Jul 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Actually, Upton has as many homers as Rizzo. Just noticed that. Still going with Rizzo, though.

2. 1harrypairatesties - Jul 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Rizzo should be there.

3. holliswatson - Jul 7, 2014 at 10:54 PM

1985 Topps is fantastic. 1987 is even better.

4. slappymcknucklepunch - Jul 7, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Craig,please do not take this the wrong way as have been following you since late in the first year of Shysterball and have bookmarked NBC sports since(really only hardball talk as PFT has a horrible
    comment section)you migrated but..THOSE GLASSES man.In the Army we would call them birth control glasses for apparent reason.

At least in my defense I was a lowly enlisted man and they were free.Do you really put them on and say
    “Oh yeah,that’s the look that the ladies will swoon over.How much?”

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS