Jul 7, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
First the good news on Jhoulys Chacin: Doctors have determined that the Rockies right-hander won’t need shoulder surgery to repair fraying in his rotator cuff.
Now the bad news: Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Chacin is expected to miss 4-6 weeks even without going under the knife.
That makes a return unlikely before September and means the 26-year-old may not take the mound again before next season if there are any setbacks.
Chacin threw 197 innings with a 3.47 ERA while allowing just 11 homers last season, but he began this season on the disabled list and went 1-7 with a 5.40 ERA before being shut down again.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)