Jul 7, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
First the good news on Jhoulys Chacin: Doctors have determined that the Rockies right-hander won’t need shoulder surgery to repair fraying in his rotator cuff.
Now the bad news: Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Chacin is expected to miss 4-6 weeks even without going under the knife.
That makes a return unlikely before September and means the 26-year-old may not take the mound again before next season if there are any setbacks.
Chacin threw 197 innings with a 3.47 ERA while allowing just 11 homers last season, but he began this season on the disabled list and went 1-7 with a 5.40 ERA before being shut down again.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)