Jul 7, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
First the good news on Jhoulys Chacin: Doctors have determined that the Rockies right-hander won’t need shoulder surgery to repair fraying in his rotator cuff.
Now the bad news: Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Chacin is expected to miss 4-6 weeks even without going under the knife.
That makes a return unlikely before September and means the 26-year-old may not take the mound again before next season if there are any setbacks.
Chacin threw 197 innings with a 3.47 ERA while allowing just 11 homers last season, but he began this season on the disabled list and went 1-7 with a 5.40 ERA before being shut down again.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)