Jul 7, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
First the good news on Jhoulys Chacin: Doctors have determined that the Rockies right-hander won’t need shoulder surgery to repair fraying in his rotator cuff.
Now the bad news: Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Chacin is expected to miss 4-6 weeks even without going under the knife.
That makes a return unlikely before September and means the 26-year-old may not take the mound again before next season if there are any setbacks.
Chacin threw 197 innings with a 3.47 ERA while allowing just 11 homers last season, but he began this season on the disabled list and went 1-7 with a 5.40 ERA before being shut down again.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 1
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)