Jul 7, 2014, 5:40 PM EST
First the good news on Jhoulys Chacin: Doctors have determined that the Rockies right-hander won’t need shoulder surgery to repair fraying in his rotator cuff.
Now the bad news: Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Chacin is expected to miss 4-6 weeks even without going under the knife.
That makes a return unlikely before September and means the 26-year-old may not take the mound again before next season if there are any setbacks.
Chacin threw 197 innings with a 3.47 ERA while allowing just 11 homers last season, but he began this season on the disabled list and went 1-7 with a 5.40 ERA before being shut down again.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)