Jul 7, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Cardinals right-hander Joe Kelly hasn’t pitched in the majors since April 16 due to a severe strain of his left hamstring, but Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the plan calls for him to be activated to start Friday against the Brewers.
Kelly allowed one run over 4 1/3 innings for Triple-A Memphis yesterday and owns a 2.61 ERA and 4/6 K/BB ratio in 10 1/3 innings through three minor league rehab starts. The original expectation was that he would make one more start in the minors before being activated, but it turns out that he’ll replace the recently-optioned Marco Gonzalez in the rotation. Tyler Lyons, who was called up to take Gonzalez’s spot on the roster, will pitch out of the bullpen.
Kelly won the fifth starter job over Carlos Martinez out of spring training and posted a 0.59 ERA over his first three starts in April before the hamstring strain. Because of injuries to Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia, now Kelly and Martinez will both have spots in the rotation.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)