Jul 7, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
In news that helps explain why the Indians felt the need to acquire veteran outfielder Chris Dickerson from the Pirates earlier today, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that center fielder Michael Bourn‘s hamstring strain is “more serious” than initially believed.
Bourn has struggled with hamstring problems since last season, eventually undergoing tendon surgery, and this time around Hoynes says he’ll be out for at least 3-4 weeks. That puts a potential return date at early August even if things go smoothly and given Bourn’s recent history that should probably qualify as very optimistic.
In between the disabled list stints Bourn has been his usual self this season at the plate, hitting .267 with a .695 OPS compared to his career .270 batting average and .699 OPS, but he’s attempted just 10 stolen bases in 66 games after previously being one of the most potent base-stealers in MLB and the Indians didn’t give him a four-year, $48 million contract for his bat.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)