Jul 7, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Cardinals right-hander Michael Wacha was shut down two weeks ago due to a stress reaction to the scapula bone in his throwing shoulder and the timeline for his return remains a question mark.
According to Jenifer Langosch and Alex Halsted of MLB.com, Wacha will rest for another 14 days before being re-evaluated. An MRI today showed some healing, but not enough for him to begin a throwing program. Given the unique nature of the the injury, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak would prefer to play things safe.
“Obviously, the best news would have been that he had been cleared to throw,” Mozeliak said. “He’s not there yet, and I think, just taking a very proactive stance on this, this is best for him and his career. I’m sure he’s frustrated and would like to be a little bit ahead of this, but I think this is just in the best interest of him. Hopefully, by the next time we do another MRI, he’ll be clear.”
With Wacha still sidelined and Jaime Garcia headed for season-ending thoracic outlet surgery, the Cardinals are prepared to go into the second half with a starting rotation consisting of Adam Wainwright, Lance Lynn, Shelby Miller, Carlos Martinez, and Joe Kelly.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)