Jul 7, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
Cardinals right-hander Michael Wacha was shut down two weeks ago due to a stress reaction to the scapula bone in his throwing shoulder and the timeline for his return remains a question mark.
According to Jenifer Langosch and Alex Halsted of MLB.com, Wacha will rest for another 14 days before being re-evaluated. An MRI today showed some healing, but not enough for him to begin a throwing program. Given the unique nature of the the injury, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak would prefer to play things safe.
“Obviously, the best news would have been that he had been cleared to throw,” Mozeliak said. “He’s not there yet, and I think, just taking a very proactive stance on this, this is best for him and his career. I’m sure he’s frustrated and would like to be a little bit ahead of this, but I think this is just in the best interest of him. Hopefully, by the next time we do another MRI, he’ll be clear.”
With Wacha still sidelined and Jaime Garcia headed for season-ending thoracic outlet surgery, the Cardinals are prepared to go into the second half with a starting rotation consisting of Adam Wainwright, Lance Lynn, Shelby Miller, Carlos Martinez, and Joe Kelly.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)