There will be self-serve beer machines at the All-Star Game

Jul 7, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Hagar

I’m going to the All-Star Game in Minneapolis next week. When I’m there, my company expenses will be limited to flight, hotel and a modest but sufficient per diem for meals and the like. However — and while I have never really tested this because I don’t do in-depth, shoeleather reporting — I presume that NBC also has to pay for various costs associated with the production of journalistic content, right?

In other news:

Self-serve beer stations are up and running in Target Field, so Minnesota Twins fans and those who attend the Major League Baseball All-Star festivities next week can decide what they want and even how much they want of it.

Gleeman was at Target Field over the weekend and said that they basically looked like the fancy Coke dispensers you’re starting to see at various fast food restaurants. I would hope that it won’t let you mix up beers like you’d mix Fanta and Sprite because, eww, but so far, so good!

The mechanics have a lot of safeguards in it such as requiring you show ID to a real person first and get a pre-paid card with which to fill up your cup at the machines. But the bottom line:

The machine allows a customer to use the card to pour up to 48 ounces of beer every 15 minutes.

I think I could make that work. Any more details?

Bud and Bud Light will cost 38 cents an ounce, while Shock Top Lemon Shandy and Goose Island 312 Urban Pale Ale will cost 40 cents an ounce.

Welp, OK, maybe I’ll just watch other people use it while I’m on my way to some of the other beer options on-site.

1. eagles512 - Jul 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM

That’s actually cheap for a ballpark.

2. ezthinking - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:01 PM

The machine is far cheaper that the vendors. $6.50 for 12oz Shocktop is almost .55 per ounce.

3. beepbeepbeeplgb - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:06 PM

haven’t been on all weekend, when did we lose the thumbs up and down?! can’t remember if they were there friday afternoon or not.

• stex52 - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Hope they are gone. I doubt it, though.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I was wondering the same; I think it’s as of today.

• nbjays - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM

They were here earlier today.

• seeinred87 - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM

They’re not gone. It happens to me sometimes when I use the slides to click on articles. Usually a refresh of the page or clicking on an actual link (instead of the slides up top) brings them right back.

• beepbeepbeeplgb - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM

i know what you are saying but PHT and PFT are also missing them, that’s what really made me notice. so who knows, i assume it’s just a temporary bug.

• seeinred87 - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I still see them here. Weird that they’ve disappeared for several people.

• skeleteeth - Jul 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I do not see them in Firefox but most other browsers they show up. I also use Adblock Plus which sometimes ends up with legit site content filtered like thumb images but leaves functionality in place.

This seems different though as it’s not just the image that’s gone. Even with mouse-over I can’t thumbs up or down anyone.

And I’ve also experienced the disappearance of thumbs when cycling through stories from the tiles. Happens to me quite often in fact.

• tmc602014 - Jul 7, 2014 at 3:39 PM

They are intermittent for me.

4. SocraticGadfly - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM

They’re not also having Disco Demolition Night or something, are they?

5. seeinred87 - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Those Coke Freestyle machines are the greatest things ever. Just don’t try grape ginger ale

• Cris E - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Lime ginger ale is pretty good. In general I think the lime mixes with many things better than a lot of the other flavors.

• carpi2 - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:26 AM

The best is Whiskey Ginger Ale. Are they dispensed by the same Coke machine? If so, I’m in!

6. mpzz - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Those are the beer choices? About the four most horrible beers there are?
    Wow!

• carpi2 - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM

They are all Anheuser-Busch products.There’s your reason why they all suck!

7. historiophiliac - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I can’t imagine anything worse than a Hamm’s/PBR suicide.

• birdman6824 - Jul 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Blatz/PBR?

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM

A Milwaukee’s Best boilermaker?

• 4cornersfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Schlitz/Jax with salt and lemon?

8. luvmnsports2012 - Jul 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I’ve never even seen the thumbs up or down??! Still trying to figure out where there at an I been on for two yrs! Lol

9. yankeesfanlen - Jul 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I’m in for the first $50. Maybe then I’ll start cheering for Beep Beep.

• stex52 - Jul 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM

It’ll take more than $50 worth of beer to make you cheer for Beep Beep, Len. Don’t fool the poor people.

10. tmc602014 - Jul 7, 2014 at 3:37 PM

38 cents an ounce! That’s like $2 per swallow. Statheads alert! Somebody give us an analysis of convenience v. cost and remember tailgating is an option.

11. dowhatifeellike - Jul 7, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Jeez. I can get a good microbrew at $8.99 for 6 bottles. that’s 12 cents per ounce, maybe 13.5 or so if you include tax.

Given the selection at most ballparks, pregaming and/or a flask is probably the best bet. Even pregaming at a bar will cost significantly less.

There’s also the sneaky option of buying a 6-pack of coke or pepsi bottles, pouring out some, replacing it with Jack, and sealing it back up. Nobody looks that closely as long as they are full.

12. sportsfan18 - Jul 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM

48 OUNCES every 15 minutes!!!

That is 16 twelve ounce cans of beer in ONE hour…

• carpi2 - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Being an alcoholic is way more cost effective at home, though

13. hardkor07mn - Jul 7, 2014 at 9:29 PM

We need a beer machine at every seat the way the twins are playing

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3304)