Jul 7, 2014, 8:24 AM EDT
UPDATE: Didn’t see Price’s reply to a Twitter follower regarding this last night, but:
Red Hot is basically like Ben Gay or another topical ointment/cream/painkiller. So mystery, such as it is, solved.
8:24 AM: Someone who posts to Baseball Reddit posted a screencap from last night’s Rays-Tigers game showing . . . something on David Price’s arm:
Dirt? Rosin + sweat? Possibly. Something else? I dunno. Also worth noting that it’s on his left arm and Price is a lefty. Which doesn’t mean that it couldn’t possibly be used on a ball — it could transfer to his glove and then on to the ball if he’s being slick about it — but it certainly does make it harder to get at it if, indeed, it is a foreign substance.
I do know that this picture, from Getty Images, taken during Price’s warmup tosses before the first inning, does not show anything:
Obviously he has not worked up a sweat yet here. And, of course, the lighting and everything is different. Pictures can be pretty deceiving.
I didn’t watch the game so I don’t have an opinion on his stuff or effectiveness and can’t say from one picture that Price was doing anything untoward. But I do know that smaller, less noticeable smudges have caused others to make accusations in the past. I’m curious to see if anyone does so today.
UPDATE: Just went back to MLB.tv to check on the game and, while his arm definitely (and obviously) got sweatier as the night went on, I can’t find anyplace which shows stuff on his arm like that screen cap does (and can’t find the exact place where that screencap came from).
So basically: all we have is a pic from an unknown time of the game showing something that could be something or could be nothing. If anyone can find it in the game broadcast, let me know.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)