Jul 7, 2014, 8:24 AM EDT
UPDATE: Didn’t see Price’s reply to a Twitter follower regarding this last night, but:
Red Hot is basically like Ben Gay or another topical ointment/cream/painkiller. So mystery, such as it is, solved.
8:24 AM: Someone who posts to Baseball Reddit posted a screencap from last night’s Rays-Tigers game showing . . . something on David Price’s arm:
Dirt? Rosin + sweat? Possibly. Something else? I dunno. Also worth noting that it’s on his left arm and Price is a lefty. Which doesn’t mean that it couldn’t possibly be used on a ball — it could transfer to his glove and then on to the ball if he’s being slick about it — but it certainly does make it harder to get at it if, indeed, it is a foreign substance.
I do know that this picture, from Getty Images, taken during Price’s warmup tosses before the first inning, does not show anything:
Obviously he has not worked up a sweat yet here. And, of course, the lighting and everything is different. Pictures can be pretty deceiving.
I didn’t watch the game so I don’t have an opinion on his stuff or effectiveness and can’t say from one picture that Price was doing anything untoward. But I do know that smaller, less noticeable smudges have caused others to make accusations in the past. I’m curious to see if anyone does so today.
UPDATE: Just went back to MLB.tv to check on the game and, while his arm definitely (and obviously) got sweatier as the night went on, I can’t find anyplace which shows stuff on his arm like that screen cap does (and can’t find the exact place where that screencap came from).
So basically: all we have is a pic from an unknown time of the game showing something that could be something or could be nothing. If anyone can find it in the game broadcast, let me know.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)