Jul 7, 2014, 8:24 AM EST
UPDATE: Didn’t see Price’s reply to a Twitter follower regarding this last night, but:
Red Hot is basically like Ben Gay or another topical ointment/cream/painkiller. So mystery, such as it is, solved.
8:24 AM: Someone who posts to Baseball Reddit posted a screencap from last night’s Rays-Tigers game showing . . . something on David Price’s arm:
Dirt? Rosin + sweat? Possibly. Something else? I dunno. Also worth noting that it’s on his left arm and Price is a lefty. Which doesn’t mean that it couldn’t possibly be used on a ball — it could transfer to his glove and then on to the ball if he’s being slick about it — but it certainly does make it harder to get at it if, indeed, it is a foreign substance.
I do know that this picture, from Getty Images, taken during Price’s warmup tosses before the first inning, does not show anything:
Obviously he has not worked up a sweat yet here. And, of course, the lighting and everything is different. Pictures can be pretty deceiving.
I didn’t watch the game so I don’t have an opinion on his stuff or effectiveness and can’t say from one picture that Price was doing anything untoward. But I do know that smaller, less noticeable smudges have caused others to make accusations in the past. I’m curious to see if anyone does so today.
UPDATE: Just went back to MLB.tv to check on the game and, while his arm definitely (and obviously) got sweatier as the night went on, I can’t find anyplace which shows stuff on his arm like that screen cap does (and can’t find the exact place where that screencap came from).
So basically: all we have is a pic from an unknown time of the game showing something that could be something or could be nothing. If anyone can find it in the game broadcast, let me know.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)