And now the moment you’ve been waiting for: Prince Fielder naked

Jul 8, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

As we mentioned a few weeks ago, Prince Fielder is going to appear in ESPN The Magazine’s “Body Issue.” And, because this is all about publicity and buzz and stuff for that magazine, they’d be remiss in not releasing teaser photos. So here you go:

I’m sure lots of dudes with way worse bodies than Fielder’s will go on about how Fielder shouldn’t be posing nude and stuff, but if America means anything, it means the right to be hypocritical and lame. But please, if you’re gonna make some negative comment about old Prince here, please do us a favor and post your BMI next to your comment.

Seriously though: he looks better sans uniform than I figured he would. Maybe credit ESPN for some airbrushing and flattering angles, but this ain’t bad. If anything it shows you that MLB uniforms and the undershirts and stuff they wear aren’t the most flattering outfits around.

1. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM

2. mybrunoblog - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Calcaterra is right. He does look pretty awful in a baseball uniform. Maybe Fielder will petition the league to play in his birthday suit. Baseball fans and the media love firsts. The first black player, the first gay player, the first Japanese player. Now we’ll have “The first naked player”. Fielder will be scorned at first. Openly mocked and reviled by some but if he succeeds, he’ll be known as a trailblazer. Years from now mlb will celebrate “Fielder day” and all players will play naked for one day. Fielder will be on postage stamps, currency and be remembered as one of the greatest Americans in our history.

• sabatimus - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM

If he’s the first naked player, he’d have to be the first airbrushed player too. Do you expect him to look that way the whole game? Or even after BP?

• mybrunoblog - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Umm, it’s a joke….

3. historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM

He looks incredibly powerful (and infinitely less creepy than Harvey last year). I think the source of people’s unhappiness with the pic (if there is any) will be that we are ab-obsessed these days. The 6-pack is in — as if that assures strength and power and that it’s related to skill in athletic performance. If you think Beiber is the better athlete than guys without those abs, you’re a fool. Ironically, I read this thing about Andre the Giant yesterday. He was a strong guy but certainly did not have the bodybuilder physique. We have come to relate the two — as if being muscular = athletic skill or that power only takes the form of low body fat percentage. There are different skills and athletic abilities out there, which means there are a variety of body types appropriate to them.

Anyway, I think he looks good. I’m impressed. AND he can wear a suit.

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM

PS If you look better and can wear a suit, faithful HBT readers would like to know.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM

To wit, our dear friend @oldhossradburn (who does come one here, so it counts)

• indaburg - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM

To be fair, the 6-pack has been in for over 2,000 years:

He looks better than I thought. Too many tats, but that’s me. I’m not crazy about too much ink on skin.

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM

The ab thing comes and goes, like all beauty trends. I mean, name a founding father with washboard abs. Look at the Babe et al too. It’s cultivated today. It used to be big shoulders and bulging biceps. (ha! I almost wrote: bicepts!) Idealized bodies are not the same thing as strong or effective bodies necessarily.

I’m not crazy about a bunch of ink either, but hairlessness creeps me out more. Honestly, I don’t have a lot of restrictions on these things really. It’s about the person.

• indaburg - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Well, the Founding Fathers were too uptight (except for maybe Franklin) to show off those abs. I bet Jefferson had some abs. Ugh, this is getting creepy.

I get ya. All visible muscles indicate is that a person has a low enough % of body fat to have those muscles become visible, either by genetics (lucky bastards), diet, and/or exercise. It doesn’t mean they’re strong or skilled.

4. number42is1 - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:17 AM

what happened to the thumbs up/down button?

• mybrunoblog - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Refresh your browser and they should reappear for you. They’re here you just can’t see them. Gee, that sounded weird.

• number42is1 - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM

sooo…. Like God?

(worked.. thx… was missing all day yesterday even with the refresh)

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Good job tech support.

Say, I am having issues with a Citrix environment at work, and tips ;)

5. pete2112 - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM

For the love of god…. You know I have to give him credit for doing this as it’s refreshing not seeing the perfect specimen as we see most days when we glance at magazine covers, but I highly doubt this hasn’t been touched up one way or another, which sort of defeats the purpose of him doing this, in my opinion. As for myself, I have an average build for a 43 year old guy but I would never put myself out there like that, even with airbrushing, but more power to him. It must be liberating in a way.

6. thebadguyswon - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I say good for him. And for full disclosure, I am easily as fat as Fielder is.

7. Bar None - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I totally thought he would be more flabby by the way his jersey fits. He has one of those guts that somehow defies gravity. I have an uncle who has the same thing. It is just weird.

• thebadguyswon - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Yeah he does. He looks much worse in his uniform. Maybe the Rangers will let him get a tattoo of their jersey and just go with that and uniform pants.

8. ningenito78 - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Definitely too fat to be on the cover of any magazine. BMI: shredded.

• amlumber - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Ye Olde Rules of Life: Whence an individual refers to himself as ‘shredded’ whilst criticizing other individuals for being fat, said individual shall heretofore be known simply as ‘that guy’ and be assumed to drive a Civic with a spoiler and have a tribal armband tattoo.

You mad, brah?

9. jrs45 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I just threw up in my mouth

10. claymatthewshairplugs - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I expected him to be flabbier but I guess a lot of that is misleading and a lot of airbrushing too. And before people think I’m making fun of Fielder I’m not. BMI 26 here a mixture of some muscle and flab but hey like all men, you start getting a little chunkier as you hit your 30s.

11. yahmule - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I’ve done worse.

12. normcash - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM

This is about the way I remember him in the last two post-seasons….

13. kiwicricket - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Kinda looks like my ex-girlfriend

14. genericcommenter - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM

This is about what I expected. My BMI is pretty high, and I have a smaller waist and a little less upper body mass. Plus, I’m paler, have hair, and don’t wear makeup.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3905)