Jul 8, 2014, 9:31 PM EST
Braves first base coach Terry Pendleton told the New York Post earlier this week that he feels like Brian McCann — who’s struggled in his first year with the Yankees — will “never be comfortable” in New York because “New York is not Brian.”
McCann was asked about those comments before the Yankees’ game Tuesday evening against the Indians. ESPNNewYork.com has his response:
“I read the article. I disagree,” McCann said. “I absolutely love it here. I’ve got off to a slow start, but I absolutely love it here. It’s his opinion. That’s all I can say, it’s his opinion on it. I really haven’t noticed a big difference [between playing in New York and Atlanta]. It’s still baseball. It’s still put a uniform on, go out and put your best foot forward. That’s what I’m doing. It just hasn’t gone quite like I wish it would, but at the same time, we’ve got a whole half of baseball left. We’re in a pennant race and those are the things that I’m focused on.”
Yankees manager Joe Girardi also weighed in: “Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. Sometimes it takes people a little time to adjust [to New York]. … I think he’ll be fine. I don’t think it will be an issue. I think he loves it here. I think he enjoys playing here. And I think Brian expects a lot from himself.”
McCann entered play Tuesday with a weak .230/.289/.379 slash line in 305 plate appearances. The 30-year-old catcher signed a five-year, $85 million free agent contract with the Yankees over the winter.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Acquiring every player so the other teams can’t get any players is the new inefficiency.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:31 AM EST
File this under “wild speculation” but it makes all kinds of sense.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
Baldelli, who’s still just 33 years old, joins 37-year-old rookie manager Kevin Cash’s coaching staff.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
A third base hole filled in San Diego, a good defensive catcher goes to Boston.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Albers is headed back to MLB after a rough 2014 season in Korea.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
According to the team president, at least.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
The Padres have gone crazy this week. The latest: acquiring Justin Upton and his big bat for a couple of prospects.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:05 AM EST
But one insider says the package the Rockies are asking for Tulo is “bats**t”
Vin Scully lost his 1988 World Series ring at Costco but got it back. And talks about how Costco is cool.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
He doesn’t say so, but I have this feeling he’s a chicken bake man. Chicken bakes are pretty underrated.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:28 AM EST
Can someone justify this sort of golden parachute? Will anyone even bother to try?
Dec 19, 2014, 6:50 AM EST
The Giants haven’t gotten many of their sought-after targets this offseason, but they keep one of their starters.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:27 PM EST
It took long enough, but Matt Kemp has finally been traded to the Padres.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Get excited, I guess.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
The Padres continue to overhaul their lineup while the A’s continue to unload.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:46 PM EST
Young, 29, batted .302 with seven home runs and .779 OPS (120 OPS+) over 255 plate appearances this past season.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EST
Lowe began his career with Seattle and had his best season with the club in 2009.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:41 PM EST
Is this the beginning of the end for the Tampa Bay Rays?
Dec 18, 2014, 6:07 PM EST
Johnson missed the entire 2014 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery in late April.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Does Ichiro really have one more year left in him?
Dec 18, 2014, 5:40 PM EST
Veteran catching depth.
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 62
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 93
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 14
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 89
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)