Bronson Arroyo was pretty sure he had a torn UCL for his last six starts

Jul 8, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

bronson arroyo getty Getty Images

The Diamondbacks announced yesterday that Bronson Arroyo would have to have Tommy John surgery. Tough break. But maybe it was a tough break that should’ve come a couple of weeks earlier? Get this, from 98.7FM in Arizona:

“(My elbow) was hurting my last six starts, but I pitched against (Washington Nationals’ Stephen) Strasburg, beat him and got the complete game [on May 13], and I’m pretty sure it (the ligament) must have torn off during that game at some point,” said Arroyo on Monday.

Arroyo had some clunker starts after that game against the Nats, but he wasn’t awful. He was 4-2 in those six starts including three starts in which he allowed just one run. The Mets, Astros and Dodgers probably aren’t feeling too great today knowing that a dude with a torn UCL basically stymied them.

1. sdelmonte - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Isn’t this how it used to be? You pitched till you couldn’t pitch, and played through the pain. And then either it “healed” during the offseason, or your career cratered. Definitely not a good thing, but that Arroyo could do this isn’t a total surprise.

• stex52 - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Yup, I think you pretty much called it, sdel. I’m sure those guys just pitched through a lot more pain and then waited to see if it got better.

Not saying those were better times. It’s just that’s all you could do before sports medicine caught up.

2. pete2112 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:06 AM

This guy really has been a workhorse in his career. I hope he can make a full recovery and get back on the field.

• yahmule - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM

A workhorse and also an overachiever, and I mean that in the most complimentary way.

3. 2bbige - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:50 PM

One less “gritty” player for KG&KT.. Lol #HotDesertMess
    Wish him full/speedy recovery tho

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2505)