Jul 8, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
The Diamondbacks announced yesterday that Bronson Arroyo would have to have Tommy John surgery. Tough break. But maybe it was a tough break that should’ve come a couple of weeks earlier? Get this, from 98.7FM in Arizona:
“(My elbow) was hurting my last six starts, but I pitched against (Washington Nationals’ Stephen) Strasburg, beat him and got the complete game [on May 13], and I’m pretty sure it (the ligament) must have torn off during that game at some point,” said Arroyo on Monday.
Arroyo had some clunker starts after that game against the Nats, but he wasn’t awful. He was 4-2 in those six starts including three starts in which he allowed just one run. The Mets, Astros and Dodgers probably aren’t feeling too great today knowing that a dude with a torn UCL basically stymied them.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)