Jul 8, 2014, 7:58 PM EST
ESPN’s Jayson Stark and Gordon Edes reported Tuesday afternoon that the Cardinals were interested in acquiring veteran right-handed starter Jake Peavy from the last-place Red Sox, with Stark predicting that a trade could come together quickly.
But there are few baseball beat writers who are better plugged-in to the team they cover than Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and he just tweeted this …
— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) July 8, 2014
Maybe that’s some form of posturing by the Cardinals front office — a common tactic in trade talks — but it’s true that the team doesn’t really have an open rotation spot with Kelly returning Friday to face the Brewers. Carlos Martinez, a highly-touted 22-year-old right-hander, has pitched well since transitioning from a late-relief role last month, posting a 2.45 ERA with 18 strikeouts in 18 1/3 innings over his first four starts.
St. Louis ranks second in the majors in starting pitcher ERA and second-to-last in offensive runs scored.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)