Jul 8, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark and Gordon Edes reported Tuesday afternoon that the Cardinals were interested in acquiring veteran right-handed starter Jake Peavy from the last-place Red Sox, with Stark predicting that a trade could come together quickly.
But there are few baseball beat writers who are better plugged-in to the team they cover than Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and he just tweeted this …
— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) July 8, 2014
Maybe that’s some form of posturing by the Cardinals front office — a common tactic in trade talks — but it’s true that the team doesn’t really have an open rotation spot with Kelly returning Friday to face the Brewers. Carlos Martinez, a highly-touted 22-year-old right-hander, has pitched well since transitioning from a late-relief role last month, posting a 2.45 ERA with 18 strikeouts in 18 1/3 innings over his first four starts.
St. Louis ranks second in the majors in starting pitcher ERA and second-to-last in offensive runs scored.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)