Jul 8, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
ESPN’s Jayson Stark and Gordon Edes reported Tuesday afternoon that the Cardinals were interested in acquiring veteran right-handed starter Jake Peavy from the last-place Red Sox, with Stark predicting that a trade could come together quickly.
But there are few baseball beat writers who are better plugged-in to the team they cover than Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and he just tweeted this …
— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) July 8, 2014
Maybe that’s some form of posturing by the Cardinals front office — a common tactic in trade talks — but it’s true that the team doesn’t really have an open rotation spot with Kelly returning Friday to face the Brewers. Carlos Martinez, a highly-touted 22-year-old right-hander, has pitched well since transitioning from a late-relief role last month, posting a 2.45 ERA with 18 strikeouts in 18 1/3 innings over his first four starts.
St. Louis ranks second in the majors in starting pitcher ERA and second-to-last in offensive runs scored.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)