Jul 8, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston and Jayson Stark of ESPN.com are both reporting that the Cardinals are talking to the Red Sox about veteran starter Jake Peavy, and according to Stark a deal “could happen quick.”
Peavy is owed about $7 million for the remainder of this season as part of a two-year, $29 million contract signed last offseason. He’s struggled this year with a 4.64 ERA in 18 starts and has a combined 4.41 ERA in 28 starts for the Red Sox dating back to last season, managing just 6.6 strikeouts per nine innings after a career of racking up tons of missed bats.
His average fastball velocity has also dipped below 90 miles per hour, so at age 33–and considering how poorly he’s pitched of late–Peavy may be little more than a salary dump for the Red Sox.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)