Jul 8, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Friday’s start was Gerrit Cole‘s third outing since returning from a disabled list stint for shoulder fatigue, but he exited after five innings with a strained lat muscle and is now back on the shelf.
Cole described the current injury as “something completely different” than what put him on the DL last month, and it’s especially frustrating because he’d thrown five shutout innings before leaving the start.
Because of the All-Star break it’s possible that Cole will miss just one turn in the rotation, although the Pirates figure to be pretty cautious with their 23-year-old former No. 1 overall pick. Triple-A right-hander Brandon Cumpton will step into Cole’s rotation spot after posting a 4.61 ERA in nine starts for the Pirates earlier this season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)