Jul 8, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Back in 2011 the Blue Jays drafted then-high school pitcher Tyler Beede with the 21st overall pick only to see him turn down their $2.4 million signing bonus offer to attend Vanderbilt.
That incredibly risky decision actually worked out well for Beede, who was drafted 14th overall by the Giants last month and has now agreed to a $2.65 million signing bonus that’s slightly above the slot recommendation for that pick.
Beede’s numbers at Vanderbilt this season were mediocre, but he was considered a consensus top-20 talent in the draft class and could move pretty quickly through the Giants’ farm system.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 97
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 153
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (156)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)