Keith Hernandez had a pinch hitter waiting for him, so to speak, when he did “Seinfeld”

Jul 8, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT

Keith Hernandez Jerry Seinfeld

Just randomly surfing and I found a quasi-baseball thing. It’s a Rolling Stone feature in which they got some comments from some of the actors who played some of the more memorable smaller rolls in “Seinfeld.” One of them was Keith Hernandez.

Hernandez notes that he heard about the gig from his agent, Scott Boras. And that he was nervous, so he not only memorized all of his lines, but also the lines of all of the other characters in his scenes. Oh, and the “Seinfeld” writers had a fail safe in place in case Hernandez was awful:

“I guess they liked it, because they used it during sweeps. But after I was done, [executive producer] George Shapiro told me they had written in an extra subplot just in case I was unsatisfactory. It was George going for unemployment benefits, the whole ‘Vandelay Industries’ thing. So, with those scenes, it turned into an hour-long show. If I was bad, it was only going to be a half-hour.”

Glad he didn’t totally kill it. Maybe they would have cut the whole Vandelay Industries subplot.

1. ahrmon - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM

“and you want to be my latex salesman…”

2. sophiethegreatdane - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I’ve always wondered if he got over the crucial error that led to a 5-run Phillies ninth inning, thereby ruining the day.

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Yeah, “…and you want to be my latex salesman” is one of my favourite moments ever. Thanks, Keith.

4. miguelcairo - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:27 PM

“Elaine, is this shirt OK when I see Keith?”

“Jerry, he’s a GUY.”

5. adeedothatswho - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:49 PM

BACK, and to the left.

6. ahrmon - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM

On a side note, I am grooving on all the attention Seinfeld has received this week. God-DAMN I miss the Grunge Era.

7. dondada10 - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM

What, … you are making some wisecracks in a night club… wo wo wo. The guy was in game SIX two runs down two outs facing elimination.

8. motorcitydiddy - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Who does this guy think he is?

9. hojo20 - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:13 PM

If McDowell bombed his scene, who would’ve been the second spitter?

10. nawlinssaints1956 - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Should have included Keith in “The Contest” episode…

11. eutawmike - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM

better check the third base coach,i don’t think he’s waving you in.

12. jacobk621 - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:01 AM

“Shrinkage” !!! Scared ?? ,,, like a frightened turtle ,,,,,

13. hcf95688 - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:14 AM

That is one magic loogey.

14. unlost1 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:14 AM

wikipedia says if Hernandez had turned them down they would have asked Gary Carter to take his place.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3538)