Jul 8, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Released by the Rangers last week, left-hander Joe Saunders has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Royals and will report to Triple-A.
Saunders has repeatedly insisted on being viewed only as a starter despite having a 5.42 ERA in 40 starts since the beginning of last season and career-long platoon splits that suggest the 33-year-old could still fare well as a situational southpaw reliever.
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star writes that the Royals indeed still view Saunders as a starter, but may also try to use him as a middle reliever down the stretch. For now he’ll try to impress in Omaha.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 51
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 98
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 67
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)