Ruben Amaro probably shouldn’t go on Philly talk radio anymore

Jul 8, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Look, I like taking potshots at Ruben Amaro as much as the next guy. And I almost snorted lime-flavored sparkling water out of my nose today when one of you made a comment about how Amaro is too keeping up with sabermetrics given that he just put “Moneyball” in his NetFlix queue. Really, the possibilities of slamming the guy for doing what he’s done to a team that was one of the best in baseball a couple of years ago are endless.

But I do feel somewhat sorry for the guy after reading about his exchange with sports talk yakker Mike Missanelli today. The 700 Level has a total rundown of the exchange. First Amaro tried to argue that players don’t get worse as they get older. Then Amaro got snippy and this exchange went down:

Amaro: “You’re out of line because you’re uninformed, Mike.”

Missanelli: “Well, I look at the standings, and you’re in last place, Ruben.”

Maybe don’t go on talk radio anymore, Ruben. It’s making me feel bad.

1. hushbrother - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Was it La Croix sparkling water? That stuff is good. I like the coconut flavor.

2. Cortez>Sapp - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I heard the entire conversation and I agree. He fields an old, overpriced
    team that can’t score more than 2 runs per game with a top 5 payroll and he acts like if you aren’t “in baseball” you don’t know anything. But Mike was right, you don’t have to be “in baseball” to see giving OLD, declining players HUGE contracts is a DUMB thing to do. Smug Ahole!

3. chip56 - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Amaro’s in a lose lose there – what’s he supposed to do, go on the air and agree that his team is hot garbage and there’s no hope in sight?

4. stupidusername - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I was listening when this happened, and heard the replay. Amaro sounded ignorant and defensive the whole time. The worst was when he used Marlon Byrd as proof that older players can produce. How a resurgence by 1 older player is evidence that Howard, Rollins, and Utley should be good enough to rely on sounds downright stupid. Fine, have a vet or 2, take a gamble. But you’re relying on 5 every day position players over 34 years old!

It was amazing when he told Missanelli he was uninformed, someone who does know baseball. I guess everyone not named Ruben Amaro is also uninformed for predicting a below average season this year. How can you possibly have a defense when your team just lost 9 of their last 10, were 14 games under .500, and out of the division and wild card by 12 games? All while having the 3rd highest payroll? It’s a complete failure and you have no defense.

This is the second time I’ve heard him place blame with the players themselves for simply not producing as they “should.” First, it was the younger guys getting chances, like Aumont and Brown, and not producing. Now it’s the older players. So he’s basically saying he’s putting guys out there that he thinks should be able to produce, but don’t. Yep, totally their fault. Nothing wrong with your player analysis or expectations.

5. westoneast - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:35 PM

“The two biggest turds in Philly had a go at it, how cute.” Then the biggest turd on HBT writes about it.

6. kastout11 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I don’t always agree with Missanelli and he is sometimes out of line, but he was absolutely right yesterday. Ruben’s hands are kind of tied right now, but he needs to somehow replenish the farm system. Maybe a total rebuild like the Cubs are doing. Clearly their windown has closed, and they are not winning anything the way they are currently constructed. They need a lot of things to change. They need to trade Hamels, Lee, Rollins and Howard for prospects and start rebuilding. I don’t see them doing it though until Amaro is fired this offseason. He might trade off a piece or 2, but if they rebuild, which is what they should do, I see it happening with a new GM. I know Philly fand don’t want to hear it, but they need to be patient while the rebuild occurs. I know if stinks. I am a fan of all 4 Philly teams. I think the Flyers, Eagles and Sixers are moving in the right direction, the Phillies need to do the same.

Three legends off to Cooperstown