This year’s All-Star Game musical guests announced

Jul 8, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 11.03.22 AM AP

Remember when Major League Baseball had Bread sing “Make it with you” before the 1972 All-Star Game and Bob Gibson killed David Gates with his bare hands? Man, that was epic.

We live in a more genteel time now, however, and today’s baseball players don’t much mind it when the All-Star pregame is turned into a vehicle for promoting pop stars and things. Thus, last year, Pitbull performed before the game. This year, there are other acts at the various All-Star events:

Tony Award-winner Idina Menzel will sing the U.S. National Anthem . . . prior to the National Anthem, Menzel will perform the classic song “Forever Young” by 11-time Grammy-Award winner Bob Dylan, who is a Minnesota native . . .

First of all, she should do “Brownsville Girl” if she does any Dylan song because that’s a sweet, overlooked jam.

Second: while “Forever Young” is going to be part of a ceremony honoring “30 “All-Star Teachers” who have made an impact on their community, the part of me that hates you all and wants to see the world burn wants them to turn the song into a Jeter serenade. Picture him on a chair in front of home plate, all of the other All-Stars surrounding him with adoring looks on their faces as “may yoooou staaaayyy . . . . foreeeeeh-eh-ver youuuunnnggg” echoes through the ballpark.

Third: I bet you all just threw up.

Anyway, what else ya got, MLB?

The MLB All-Star Musical Performance presented by Budweiser will feature singer/songwriter Aloe Blacc on-field prior to the Gillette Home Run Derby on July 14th on ESPN.

Happy birthday to me, I guess.

the Canadian Anthem will be performed by the Minnesota Orchestra Brass Quintet and God Bless America will be sung by American country music artist Joe Nichols.

If Justin Morneau wins The Final Vote, however, he’ll be doing it with Russell Martin accompanying him on traditional Canadian musical instruments which, I presume, exist.

Also joining the roster of musical performances during MLB All-Star Week is Panic! At the Disco, who will perform on-field prior to the Taco Bell™ All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game at Target Field on July 13th

Maybe not the top gig of the weekend, but Panic! At the Disco may be the biggest stars at the “celebrity” softball game.

The ticketed All-Star Pre-Game Celebration taking place outside of Target Field prior to the All-Star Game on Tuesday will feature American rock band O.A.R. and Minnesota’s A Capella group, Home Free.

I’ll be inside by then, trying to get that whole Jeter ceremony idea off the ground.

Grammy Award winning artists Imagine Dragons will headline the 2014 Target All-Star Concert presented by Budweiser with musical guest, Minnesota-based Atmosphere, on Saturday, July 12th, as part of MLB All-Star Week

Fine I guess. My kids like the “Radioactive” song. All of this needs more Baseball Project, however. If you want that, go to Durham:

1. Old Gator - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Dylan, reduced to kitsch. Civilization is doomed.

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM

*pastiche

• 4cornersfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Yeah. I keep thinking of the old SNL skit where old Dylan is doing a late night commercial for “Up Against the Wall Wallpaper” that has lines from his songs on it.

2. bronco58lb - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM

During last year’s All-Star Game at CitiField, MLB brought out Neil Diamond to sing “Sweet Caroline” for a Boston Marathon tribute. The FOX telecast made it appear that the Mets crowd was into Diamond’s performance, but in reality, the majority of the fans booed because they hate that lame Fenway tradition.

• groupofsevenrules - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Yes, with so little to cheer about anyway, it speaks well of the fans in New York to watch them flushing the ambulatory bolus of musical excrement called Neil Diamond.

• jarathen - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Apparently they also hate just letting it slide.

3. icanspeel - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:19 AM

My favorite part of it all “with musical guest, Minnesota-based Atmosphere, on Saturday, July 12th, as part of MLB All-Star Week” Happily surprised to see Atmosphere being involved.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Absolutely! Great choice.. very good hip hop act.

• concussedmorneau - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Should be an interesting crowd at the concert. Atmosphere is a great choice, and should represent MN well.

4. bfunk1978 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I keep thinking of Rod Stewart’s “Forever Young”, and that’s a terrible song.

• schlom - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I was thinking of this Forever Young:

• drunkenhooliganism - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM

And I was thinking of this forever young

• bfunk1978 - Jul 8, 2014 at 2:28 PM

What in the holy hell did I just watch?

5. clydeserra - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:24 AM

there is only two things I like about the all star game, 1) the calling of the lineups and 2) the break it gives my team.

I have just now found out there is/are [a] musical guest[s]. This has now rocketed by the 452 things I hate about the all star game to #1. Yes its worse than “this time it counts”

• asimonetti88 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM

This is a very good lineup of musicians. Usually they roll out lame pop acts like Pitbull, but this year they have some very good artists. Imagine Dragons, Aloe Blacc, Atmosphere are all great… they are obviously not underground but not super mainstream pop acts, with unique sounds. Panic! might be pretty mainstream, but still a solid band.

• clydeserra - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM

if they had Husku Du, I would be fine with the locals being repped and shocked that Bob and grant agreed to be together, but I would still think its a dumb idea to connect music to the all star game.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Why? Like I said below, music is great, baseball is great, put them together and you have an amazing event.

• clydeserra - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Its not a chocolate in my peanut butter thing. (although nothing in this musical line up is good. see, its a matter of taste)

I don’t want more entertainment. If I want to see a show, I go to a show. If I want to see a ball game, I go to a ball game. it used to be a 3 day break, now because of all the hoopla, HR derby softball, this event that event, the players got a 4 day break its dumb. it needs to stop. no added value necessary

• clydeserra - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:44 PM

dammit, Husker. I wish I could edit

6. SocraticGadfly - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Is it true that the ASG’s official scorer has already cued up “Cry Me a River” for when Ortiz bitches about a ruling?

• RickyB - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM

As long as it is Joe Cocker’s song, not Justin Timberlake’s …

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM

*Julie London’s

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM

She could cry me a river.

7. historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Why?

8. shelbysensation - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM

That’s awesome Atmosphere got the nod.

9. hojo20 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I fondly recall when there were no musical guests and just the game on Tuesday.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Why? Why not combine two great things in music and baseball?

• 4cornersfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:43 PM

For the same reason that the thirty minute musical spectacular at halftime in the Super Bowl should not occur. It’s overhyped, irrelevant and attracts the riff-raff.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:07 PM

“In my day, pitchers pitched, and didn’t worry about 3 innings in an exhibition ruining their arms, or their turns in the rotation, or anything else. And we didn’t have music at the start of the game, or in the middle, or anywhere else, from anybody or for anybody. And, certainly not for batters. If they had played music when Willie Keeler came up, I’d have through the cowhide through his earhole.” — Old Hoss Radbourn

10. baberuthslegs - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Let’s hope they have enough sense to have John Travolta introduce Idina.

11. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Pittbull? That’s a thing? Man I’m so completely out of touch with today’s musical scene. Not really sure that’s a bad thing. [Goes back to listening to Styx and CCR Albums]

• genericcommenter - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM

He had his first rap hit around 12 years ago, but a few years back he became some big pop star. Not that long ago I read a piece on one of the top indie labels of the late 90s and it was mentioned that they declined to sign him because they thought he lacked commercial appeal.

12. rbj1 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:48 AM

It’s probably just me, but I’ve listened to “Forever Young” on The Last Waltz dvd, and can’t help but thinking that Dylan was being very sarcastic. Jilted by a former lover and wishing her something that will never ever happen.

13. ridingwithnohandlebars - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM

The wickedly talented one and only Adele Dazeem

14. shawnuel - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Mid ’80′s Minnesota was a hotbed of awesome and varied music. Husker Du, Replacements, Prince, The Time, Residents, Sussman Lawrence (Peter Himmelman) Soul Asylum, just to name a few. THAT would be a good concert!

• philliesblow - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:23 PM

When you wanna get some, whadda ya do? Do the bird!

15. sportsdrenched - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I guess I’m just old school, in that, I’d be Ok with just a baseball game and none of this other riff-raff. Same thing with football games. “just football” is fine. That’s why I watch it.

While I’m all for new and innovative ideas. Some things don’t need to be messed with.

16. stex52 - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM

My grandson introduced me to “Imagine Dragons” and I liked what I heard.

“Forever Young” is about the worst choice I could think of for Dylan. And OG, it’s too late. Dylan stuff went commercial years ago. But then, maybe the world is ending.

Having made those two pro forma comments, here’s the rest. I never watch the ASG. Sticking pop music with it makes me even less interested. We can all catch up after the break.

17. tmc602014 - Jul 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Wait, Panik is going to the All Star Game?

18. Eutaw's Finest - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM

OAR is so underrated and a great local favorite in Maryland.

Oh wait it’s not 2004? Scratch that.

19. genericcommenter - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:20 PM

OAR is a decent draw. They play The LC Outdoors.

And I think I made a comment on a previous post about how Atmosphere should play a Twins game or something. Something criticizing Macklemore, probably.

20. spacenettle - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Hopefully the national anthem singer doesn’t “make it her own”. I hate that.

• genericcommenter - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Let it go.

21. genericcommenter - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM

As one of the few people in the world who watches the show Parenthood, that’s all I associate “Forever Young” with now. This would be like someone signing the theme to Cheers or Golden Girls at a game.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3448)