Upset by All-Star snub, Rafael Soriano says he’d turn down an invite as a roster replacement

Jul 8, 2014, 10:15 AM EST

Rafael Soriano AP

Rafael Soriano is among the various players “snubbed” from the All-Star game, which apparently upset the Nationals closer and quite a few of his teammates, but if MLB decides to select him as a last-minute injury replacement Soriano plans to turn them down.

James Wagner of the Washington Post describes Soriano as being “confused” by the snub and here’s how the closer described his feelings:

In this job, nothing is given. What I’ve got, I’ve earned. No one has given it to me. Things are not given. The all-star game isn’t given to anyone. There are some pitchers who can’t pitch because they have to pitch on Sunday. I’m not going anymore. If the manager comes and tells me tomorrow, I’ll say I’m not going because I don’t want to be given anything. Things are not given, they’re earned. And if it’s by numbers, look up at the numbers of all the closers. Where am I? I’ll go home and spend three, four days there and I’ll forget about this.

Odds are pretty decent that Soriano would have been chosen as a replacement, since injuries and pitching schedules knock numerous players out of the mix every year in the days leading up to the game. Seemingly half of the “snubs” end up getting in anyway.

Soriano is certainly deserving of an All-Star spot with a 1.00 ERA and 33/11 K/BB ratio in 36 innings to go with a decade-long track record of excellence, but tons of relievers have great first halves every year and more so than any other position/role the competition is fierce. And spending a few days at home in the Dominican Republic with his family isn’t the worst thing ever.

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on TuesdayHere’s the FanDuel link.

1. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Yea, I have to say it was odd. But with Soriano, Street, Paps, Kimbrel and K-Rod all have stone cold awesome years, clearly some good closers were going to get stiffed

• yahmule - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:10 PM

But only one is acting like a baby.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Give Paps a little time ;)

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM

So, he’s decided to throw a temper-tantrum and take his ball and go home. Yea, really makes me feel for the guy… [/sarcasm]

• 18thstreet - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:37 AM

He sounds pretty level-headed to me here. You don’t have to like what he’s saying, but please don’t say it’s a temper tantrum.

• yahmule - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:10 PM

It’s a temper tantrum.

• 18thstreet - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Let me tell you something: I’m father to the greatest 5-year old boy in the history of time. You’ll all meet him in 20 years when becomes the first Rhodes Scholar to play centerfield and bat leadoff for the Red Sox. Of that I’m sure.

But the family went shopping this weekend because we’re renovating our kitchen. And instead of getting a babysitter or arranging for a playdate (which a smarter person would have done), we brought him along to the tile shop, to Home Depot, and to a paint store. And when we got home, he let loose with a Hall of Fame worthy (and well-earned temper tantrum), culminating in him yelling, as loud as I’ve ever heard him yell, “I WANT TO DO SOMETHING INTERESTING!!!”

That was a temper tantrum. Soriano is a little peeved, but he’s not throwing a tantrum.

• 4cornersfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:11 PM

IT IS NOT A TEMPER TANTRUM!!!!! &%$&+SFGL^&&##$%!!!!

• yahmule - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM

That was tantrum worthy. He’s awesome for keeping it bottled up until you left Sherwin-Williams. I’m not sure Raffy would have handled a similar ordeal as tactfully to be honest.

• 18thstreet - Jul 9, 2014 at 7:06 AM

He was terrific. He really was. He did a really good job at each of these places, letting me know that he was bored but still making the best of it. But he really let it all out when we got home.

3. wilmyers09 - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM

jake mcgee also robbed as well one of the best bulllpen pitchers in al

4. 18thstreet - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I’m having a hard time seeing Soriano as a clear-cut snub.

Here’s the best relievers in the NL: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=nl&qual=y&type=8&season=2014&month=0&season1=2014&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

5. Bryz - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:54 AM

The headline makes it seem worse than it really is, but Soriano saying that being an All-Star should be earned, not given is actually a pretty defensible argument.

6. yahmule - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM

In other news, millions of children did not have access to proper nutrition or clean water today.

• fifthstarter - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Since Rafael Soriano is from the Dominican Republic, he probably already knows that.

7. yahmule - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM

He said the exact same thing Garry Templeton said, but less succinctly.

• 18thstreet - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:23 PM

“If I ain’t startin’ the 7th inning and setting up Craig Kimbrell, who is obviously superior, I ain’t departing.”

8. johnnyhamer - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Sorry, Raf. There’s a LOT of good relievers and this happens every year. Enjoy your time off.

9. philipharmonic - Jul 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I can’t stand how he untucks his shirt after his saves. i’m glad he feels disrespected just like he disrespects this glorious game.

• blacksables - Jul 8, 2014 at 2:25 PM

dis·re·spect [dis-ri-spekt]

noun
      1. lack of respect; discourtesy; rudeness.

verb (used with object)
      2. to regard or treat without respect; regard or treat with contempt or rudeness.

Disrespect is not a noun. It is a verg, and you need an object to go with it. Might I suggest one?

• ravensgrl - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Your first definition says it can be a noun. And what is a verg?

• baberuthslegs - Jul 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Verg [verg]

noun
        1: Latvian for wild cabbage

no, that is not a real definition

• blacksables - Jul 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM

That would be kaposti, with the little umlaut thing over the a.

Latvians don’t like the cabbage nearly as much as the mushrooms. They’er a little fanatical about mushrooms.

10. cincinata - Jul 8, 2014 at 1:04 PM

He may be a very good pitcher, however he is a VERY SMALL man! What a jerk!

11. someguyinva - Jul 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM

This morning’s WaPo has an article that leads me to conclude that Soriano is a hockey fan – http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2014/07/07/to-foster-organizational-unity-capitals-and-hershey-bears-plan-to-run-similar-systems/

12. username00000 - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM

As someone who watches the Nationals games almost every night, I just cannot see Soriano being good enough to make it to the ASG. His numbers don’t really reflect the caliber of pitcher he is. If you predicted he’d pitch a strikeout, then a ground out, then walk the next three batters, you’d have probably a 75% chance of being right. The main reasons he’s not blown more saves: Rendon, Desmond, Espinosa and LaRoche. Some batter goes up hacking with bases loaded or at lease RISP to strike out, then the infield turns a double play on the next batter to end the inning. Happens quite consistently with Mister Untuck. He is much better on paper than he is in real life.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester