VIDEO: Miguel Cabrera cranks an RBI triple

Jul 8, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT

Watch as Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera finds Comerica Park’s right-center field gap and races in front of a looping throw for a seventh-inning triple Tuesday night against the Dodgers …

That was the first triple of the year for Cabrera and only his second in his last 2,712 plate appearances.

The Tigers didn’t get a very good start from Justin Verlander but routed the Dodgers for a 14-5 victory.

1. captainwisdom8888 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM

This future hall of famer is the only reason why Mike Teout isn’t a 2-time MVP already. Cabrera is still the best flat-out hitter in the game and I’d really like to see him make a significant effort to get in better shape and lose a few pounds. A slimmer Miggy would help him in the field, and less weight is always better on the joints in the lower-half of the body. It just might prolong his career as well…who wouldn’t want to get healthier?

2. historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM

The best part of that was the peeved look on Puig’s face at the end.

MVP Miggy!

• pkers - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:36 AM

I’m guessing that the Dodger’s cutoff man/men were chastising Puig for airmailing the throw over them, and Puig was like “what’re you yelling at me for?”. If he had hit the cutoff, Cabrera probably would have either stayed at 2nd or been a dead duck at 3rd.

• historiophiliac - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Probably.

3. philliesblow - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM

While I love the hustle and sure, the Tigers’ bullpen isn’t the greatest, is that the smartest thing to do with an 8 run lead in the 7th inning? Glad he didn’t pull a hammy.

4. stlouis1baseball - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Puig cracks me up. Funny, funny dude. He reminds me a lot of the young dudes who play outfield on our competitive softball team. Studs to be sure. They think they can throw everyone out so they air mail all cut off throws. And they somehow manage to trump this by blowing through stop signs and getting thrown out. They started hitting me when I called time last week and threw the ball back to them and asked them to prove they could hit me. As I told them…I didn’t get this belly by running. If I am going to run my ass out their…you better hit me. Fun to watch and certainly fun to play ball with. But damn are they frustrating.

5. Old Gator - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I haven’t had so much fun watching a triple since the bulldozer races at the county fair last month….

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3416)