Jul 9, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Jason Lane has not hit a home run in the big leagues since 2007. Heck, he was out of the bigs for the past seven years too, only recently resurfacing as a relief pitcher. Yet a home run of his will be featured in a movie coming out soon.
The movie: “Boyhood,” the new movie from Richard Linklater of “Dazed and Confused” and “Before Sunrise” fame. The flick seems crazy-ambitious: it was filmed over 12 years with the same boy Ellar Coltrane, playing the lead role from age 6 to age 18, being shot a few days at a time on an annual basis. One year, they filmed a scene with Coltrane and Ethan Hawke, who plays the boy’s father. It takes place at an Astros game and they actually filmed it during a real Astros game. During filming, Lane gave them a gift. From Salon’s interview with Linklater, following a question about the level of improvisation in the film:
I was thinking about that scene at the Astros game, where that guy hits a home run. You couldn’t possibly have known that was going to happen.
Yeah, I just — in the script, it says “At Astros game.” There’s little dialogue: “Hey, Dad, do you have a job?” That’s all kind of worked out, but where to fit it in and how to do that, no. That was a wonderful collaboration with the unknown, and the film gods were with us. I’m pointing my camera for one inning, and the Astros are one of the worst offensive teams in baseball at this time. I’m pointing my camera down the third base line, basically the point of view of my people. I’m just saying, well, let’s just hope something happens. I need something! And then Jason Lane, who’s my favorite player of all time now, hits a home run. It’s not out of the frame, it’s not to center or right. It’s right down the line, in the shot. You know, it wasn’t planned, but it just happened.
I hope if “Boyhood” is nominated for an Academy Award that Lane gets an invite to the ceremony. With Adam Dunn going to the ceremony this year and maybe Lane next year, we could have a cool tradition on our hands.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 20
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)