Jul 9, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Carl Crawford‘s ankle injury led to Matt Kemp coming off the bench and rejoining the Dodgers’ starting lineup, but now that Crawford is ready to return it sounds like he’ll be the one on the bench most days.
Don Mattingly has gone with Kemp in left field, Andre Ethier in center field, and Yasiel Puig in right field while also giving occasional starts to Scott Van Slyke, and the manager told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that he “is not really planning any big changes” with Crawford set to return as soon as tomorrow.
Mattingly went on to say that “everybody is happier … they don’t have to come to the ballpark looking for the lineup card.” He also indicated that Crawford playing a position other than left field isn’t really an option, and Kemp has started all but one of the past 39 games there while hitting .289 with a .781 OPS. By comparison, Crawford hit just .267 with a .693 OPS in 44 games before the injury.
Circumstances can change quickly, of course, and it only takes one injury for Crawford to be back in the lineup as a regular. He’s also making $20 million this season and is owed another $62 million from 2015-2017, so one way or another a long-term spot on the Dodgers’ bench probably isn’t in the cards.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)