Jul 9, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Second baseman Darwin Barney is on paternity leave and to replace him on the roster the Cubs have called up one of their many top-ranked position player prospects, Arismendy Alcantara, from Triple-A.
Ranked as a consensus top-100 prospect coming into the season, Alcantara has hit .307 with 10 homers, 25 doubles, 11 triples, and 21 steals in 89 games at Triple-A as a 22-year-old. He’s primarily a second baseman and has also played some center field.
Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago reports that the Cubs have already informed Alcantara his debut will be a very brief one, with a return to Triple-A planned as soon as Barney returns, but he figures to be back in Chicago at some point in the second half. Perhaps to stay.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)