Jul 9, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Second baseman Darwin Barney is on paternity leave and to replace him on the roster the Cubs have called up one of their many top-ranked position player prospects, Arismendy Alcantara, from Triple-A.
Ranked as a consensus top-100 prospect coming into the season, Alcantara has hit .307 with 10 homers, 25 doubles, 11 triples, and 21 steals in 89 games at Triple-A as a 22-year-old. He’s primarily a second baseman and has also played some center field.
Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago reports that the Cubs have already informed Alcantara his debut will be a very brief one, with a return to Triple-A planned as soon as Barney returns, but he figures to be back in Chicago at some point in the second half. Perhaps to stay.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 7
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 133
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39