Jul 9, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
This is just a random promotion like ballplayers do all the time, but (a) it reminded me of the existence of Andruw Jones; and (b) features a fun ad of him promoting beer and meat, and what could possibly be better than that?
Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker tweeted it out and translated it in the wee hours this morning. Take a look:
The lineup card is Jones’ beer lineup, which Newman says translates thusly:
Jones’ beer lineup RF Corona 2B Coors Light 1B Hoegaarden DH Heineken 3B Blue Moon LF Modela Especial SS Miller C Budweiser CF Grolsch P Sol
— Patrick Newman (@npbtracker) July 9, 2014
Not a great lineup, but I’m sure Jones was limited by sponsorship concerns.
The important part of all of this, however, is that Jones looks pretty good in the ad! Maybe it’s all about beer and meat, but maybe he’s lost some of that beef he added after leaving Atlanta.
Man, Jones in Atlanta. Dude hit 51 homers while playing gold glove center field in 2005. He hit 368 homers in all in Atlanta while being, bar none, the best defensive center fielder in the big leagues. I feel like we have collectively forgotten how awesome that crap was. This is what happens when you let yourself and your work ethic go, I think. It just erases so many of the memories people have of you and forever alters the image. Ask Orson Welles. Ask Marlon Brando.
Oh well. Beer and Meat.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (221)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)