If you’re in Japan, join Andruw Jones for “World Beer & Meat Festival”

Jul 9, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

This is just a random promotion like ballplayers do all the time, but (a) it reminded me of the existence of Andruw Jones; and (b) features a fun ad of him promoting beer and meat, and what could possibly be better than that?

Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker tweeted it out and translated it in the wee hours this morning. Take a look:

source:

The lineup card is Jones’ beer lineup, which Newman says translates thusly:

Not a great lineup, but I’m sure Jones was limited by sponsorship concerns.

The important part of all of this, however, is that Jones looks pretty good in the ad! Maybe it’s all about beer and meat, but maybe he’s lost some of that beef he added after leaving Atlanta.

Man, Jones in Atlanta. Dude hit 51 homers while playing gold glove center field in 2005. He hit 368 homers in all in Atlanta while being, bar none, the best defensive center fielder in the big leagues. I feel like we have collectively forgotten how awesome that crap was. This is what happens when you let yourself and your work ethic go, I think. It just erases so many of the memories people have of you and forever alters the image. Ask Orson Welles. Ask Marlon Brando.

Oh well. Beer and Meat.

1. crispybasil - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I remember watching the the Little League World Series during Jones’ heyday. Can’t remember the exact year, but I do remember that it seemed like every other player listed Jones as their favorite player.

• cman73 - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM

It was probably one of the years Curacao won it or contended. Jurickson Profar and Jonathan Schoop were both on that team.

• jwbiii - Jul 9, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I remember that. One of the players said Ivanon Coffie was his favorite. This made no sense to me until later in the broadcast when the announcer said that Mr. Coffie was his uncle.

2. Ayase - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM

No Kirin beer…

Not only ba avg sucks, but he also failed to acknowledge our cuisine. I’m very happy Wily Mo Pena appreciates our bento boxes back in 2012, he is a nice guy and very friendly to us.

To guddo rakku des Orix Pena-san…

3. mckludge - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Ugh. Heineken at cleanup? Move Coors Light to the bottom of the order.

4. cdfloyd1985 - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM

It’s like my three most favorite things had a baby…..but that baby lived in Japan…

5. natstowngreg - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Memories of watching Nats-Braves games at RFK. A Nat hit a looper to center. Hope rose for a base hit. Then, one remembered, that’s Andruw Jones out there. Hope was suspended until the ball landed safely on the outfield grass. Sometimes, it did not.

6. jlovenotjlo - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM

The image on the top right where Jones is acting like he’s drinking a presumably sealed beer, while smiling and looking at the camera, is the highlight of this poster for me.

7. jimmerg31385 - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM

“Work ethic” is what we’re calling it these days?

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I wonder if he preferred his “work ethic” in pill or injectable form?

8. lukedunphysscienceproject - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Why is he pouring beer into his ear?

• moogro - Jul 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM

He’s got a cheek catheter for drinking bad beer so he doesn’t have to taste it.

9. jerze2387 - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

now i wanna see Andruw back in the bigs. hes only 37…if Ibanez has a job, Jones certainly should.

10. Old Gator - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I’ll be in the general vicinity, but unfortunately I will be in Australia during that time for the Beer and Beer festival.

11. shyts7 - Jul 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Jones was a guy I thought was really going to be special. In the end, he turned out to be a great defensive guy, until he put on weight, and a guy that just would not listen to people to help his batting average. Decent power but you could never count on the guy when you needed him. I would of loved to seen him work on his hitting and seen how great he could have been around 2001.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4724)