Jul 9, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Blue Jays shortstop Jose Reyes committed throwing errors in back-to-back games Sunday and Monday, giving him eight throwing errors on the season compared to a career-high of nine.
When asked by Shi Davidi of Toronto Sportsnet about the throwing problems Reyes admitted that he’s been playing through a right shoulder injury for the past month:
It’s been long enough. One day I feel good, the next day I feel sore, that’s the way it is. Baseball, you’re never going to be perfect, you’re always going to have some soreness in your body. You need to find a way to control that. I feel like I’m not able to finish my throws when I’m throwing to first base. That’s why the ball is running away from first base a little bit.
Reyes also told Davidi that his shoulder bothers him at the plate, but only occasionally. During the past two weeks he’s hit .344 with an .885 OPS in 14 games, including going 4-for-5 with a home run last night, so clearly the shoulder is more of an issue on defense.
Reyes insists that the injury isn’t bad enough to keep him from being in the Blue Jays’ lineup and seemed hopeful that the time off during the All-Star break will help him get over the soreness.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)