Jul 9, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Blue Jays shortstop Jose Reyes committed throwing errors in back-to-back games Sunday and Monday, giving him eight throwing errors on the season compared to a career-high of nine.
When asked by Shi Davidi of Toronto Sportsnet about the throwing problems Reyes admitted that he’s been playing through a right shoulder injury for the past month:
It’s been long enough. One day I feel good, the next day I feel sore, that’s the way it is. Baseball, you’re never going to be perfect, you’re always going to have some soreness in your body. You need to find a way to control that. I feel like I’m not able to finish my throws when I’m throwing to first base. That’s why the ball is running away from first base a little bit.
Reyes also told Davidi that his shoulder bothers him at the plate, but only occasionally. During the past two weeks he’s hit .344 with an .885 OPS in 14 games, including going 4-for-5 with a home run last night, so clearly the shoulder is more of an issue on defense.
Reyes insists that the injury isn’t bad enough to keep him from being in the Blue Jays’ lineup and seemed hopeful that the time off during the All-Star break will help him get over the soreness.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)