Jul 9, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki hinted to Mark Kizsla of the Denver Post last week that he would like to be traded to a contender: “I don’t want to be next in line as somebody who was here for a long time and didn’t have a chance to win every single year,” Tulo said. “I want to be somewhere where there’s a chance to be in the playoffs every year.”
But it doesn’t sound like the Rockies front office will grant his wish this summer. This excerpt is from the latest column by Jon Heyman of CBS Sports …
No surprise, the Rockies aren’t looking around very hard to deal their iconic player, if at all, so far. While some of their baseball brass probably isn’t opposed to considering such a drastic measure in these tough times, ownership especially loves him, and is said to be extremely concerned by the possible reaction of a trade of their franchise player at a time their fortunes are falling. One Rockies person, in fact, said he saw “no chance” there’d be trade at this time.
The Rockies have made the playoffs just twice in the seven seasons that Tulo has been their starting shortstop and the club has won 74 or fewer games four times in that span (five if you want to include 2014).
Tulowitzki, 29, is batting .350/.441/.616 with 20 home runs and 49 RBI in 86 games this season for Colorado. He signed a six-year, $118 million contract extension in November 2010 that runs potentially through 2021.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)