Jul 9, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki hinted to Mark Kizsla of the Denver Post last week that he would like to be traded to a contender: “I don’t want to be next in line as somebody who was here for a long time and didn’t have a chance to win every single year,” Tulo said. “I want to be somewhere where there’s a chance to be in the playoffs every year.”
But it doesn’t sound like the Rockies front office will grant his wish this summer. This excerpt is from the latest column by Jon Heyman of CBS Sports …
No surprise, the Rockies aren’t looking around very hard to deal their iconic player, if at all, so far. While some of their baseball brass probably isn’t opposed to considering such a drastic measure in these tough times, ownership especially loves him, and is said to be extremely concerned by the possible reaction of a trade of their franchise player at a time their fortunes are falling. One Rockies person, in fact, said he saw “no chance” there’d be trade at this time.
The Rockies have made the playoffs just twice in the seven seasons that Tulo has been their starting shortstop and the club has won 74 or fewer games four times in that span (five if you want to include 2014).
Tulowitzki, 29, is batting .350/.441/.616 with 20 home runs and 49 RBI in 86 games this season for Colorado. He signed a six-year, $118 million contract extension in November 2010 that runs potentially through 2021.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 7
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (119)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)