Jul 9, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki hinted to Mark Kizsla of the Denver Post last week that he would like to be traded to a contender: “I don’t want to be next in line as somebody who was here for a long time and didn’t have a chance to win every single year,” Tulo said. “I want to be somewhere where there’s a chance to be in the playoffs every year.”
But it doesn’t sound like the Rockies front office will grant his wish this summer. This excerpt is from the latest column by Jon Heyman of CBS Sports …
No surprise, the Rockies aren’t looking around very hard to deal their iconic player, if at all, so far. While some of their baseball brass probably isn’t opposed to considering such a drastic measure in these tough times, ownership especially loves him, and is said to be extremely concerned by the possible reaction of a trade of their franchise player at a time their fortunes are falling. One Rockies person, in fact, said he saw “no chance” there’d be trade at this time.
The Rockies have made the playoffs just twice in the seven seasons that Tulo has been their starting shortstop and the club has won 74 or fewer games four times in that span (five if you want to include 2014).
Tulowitzki, 29, is batting .350/.441/.616 with 20 home runs and 49 RBI in 86 games this season for Colorado. He signed a six-year, $118 million contract extension in November 2010 that runs potentially through 2021.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 83
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (84)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)