Jul 9, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki hinted to Mark Kizsla of the Denver Post last week that he would like to be traded to a contender: “I don’t want to be next in line as somebody who was here for a long time and didn’t have a chance to win every single year,” Tulo said. “I want to be somewhere where there’s a chance to be in the playoffs every year.”
But it doesn’t sound like the Rockies front office will grant his wish this summer. This excerpt is from the latest column by Jon Heyman of CBS Sports …
No surprise, the Rockies aren’t looking around very hard to deal their iconic player, if at all, so far. While some of their baseball brass probably isn’t opposed to considering such a drastic measure in these tough times, ownership especially loves him, and is said to be extremely concerned by the possible reaction of a trade of their franchise player at a time their fortunes are falling. One Rockies person, in fact, said he saw “no chance” there’d be trade at this time.
The Rockies have made the playoffs just twice in the seven seasons that Tulo has been their starting shortstop and the club has won 74 or fewer games four times in that span (five if you want to include 2014).
Tulowitzki, 29, is batting .350/.441/.616 with 20 home runs and 49 RBI in 86 games this season for Colorado. He signed a six-year, $118 million contract extension in November 2010 that runs potentially through 2021.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 5
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 98
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (99)