Jul 9, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki hinted to Mark Kizsla of the Denver Post last week that he would like to be traded to a contender: “I don’t want to be next in line as somebody who was here for a long time and didn’t have a chance to win every single year,” Tulo said. “I want to be somewhere where there’s a chance to be in the playoffs every year.”
But it doesn’t sound like the Rockies front office will grant his wish this summer. This excerpt is from the latest column by Jon Heyman of CBS Sports …
No surprise, the Rockies aren’t looking around very hard to deal their iconic player, if at all, so far. While some of their baseball brass probably isn’t opposed to considering such a drastic measure in these tough times, ownership especially loves him, and is said to be extremely concerned by the possible reaction of a trade of their franchise player at a time their fortunes are falling. One Rockies person, in fact, said he saw “no chance” there’d be trade at this time.
The Rockies have made the playoffs just twice in the seven seasons that Tulo has been their starting shortstop and the club has won 74 or fewer games four times in that span (five if you want to include 2014).
Tulowitzki, 29, is batting .350/.441/.616 with 20 home runs and 49 RBI in 86 games this season for Colorado. He signed a six-year, $118 million contract extension in November 2010 that runs potentially through 2021.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)