Jul 9, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Maybe not by Buck Showalter or Nelson Cruz, but by other people:
Peavy is he guy Red Sox would deal but lots of interest in Lackey
— Nick Cafardo (@nickcafardo) July 9, 2014
Fun, but I can’t imagine the Red Sox would want to trade Lackey. Because of the famous clause in his contract that gave the Sox a team option on him for 2015 if he missed significant time to an elbow injury during the deal — which he did in 2012 — the Sox can have him next year for the major league veteran minimum. There’s a great chance that the Sox tear that up and do a different deal with Lackey, but they do have some leverage with him on that score.
More to the point, though: Lackey has been a pretty darn effective starter for the Sox this season and last and has, somewhat remarkably, turned into a guy Sox fans really like. Boston likely does not believe that this apparently lost season is something that will bleed over to next year and, as such, they likely picture him contributing to the 2015 Sox.
Anything can happen, but I’d be surprised if he were dealt.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)