And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Jul 10, 2014, 7:09 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 7.08.22 AM Getty Images

Diamondbacks 4, Marlins 3: Tied 1-1 into the tenth and the Marlins put up two in the top of the inning. The Dbacks rallied, though, with Paul Goldschmidt hitting a walkoff two-run double.

Angels 8, Blue Jays 7: Albert Pujols hit a go-ahead two-run homer in the seventh. The Angels’ pen did a nice job of picking up C.J. Wilson who gave up six runs (some unearned) and couldn’t make it out of the fourth.

Tigers 4, Dodgers 1: No Miguel Cabrera, no Victor Martinez, no problem. Max Scherzer stymied the Dodgers. Some sweet defense helped too, as the Dodgers’ first inning threat was put down by Eugenio Suarez caught Yasiel Puig napping and third and nailed him with a snap throw and Rajai Davis made a sliding catch in left.

Mets 4, Braves 1: Dillion Gee gave up one run over seven innings in his first start in two months. The Braves have now lost four straight following a nine-game winning streak to fall out of first place.

Rockies 6, Padres 3: Two homers for Tulo. Five homers overall for Colorado. The Padres seeing that kind of offensive outburst had to be like a caveman being transported to the 21st century in a time machine and seeing modern technology.

Twins 8, Mariners 1: The Twins scored eight runs by the time the fourth inning was over. According to the game story, the Twins players wanted to keep scoring: “We had guys screaming in the dugout, `It’s not illegal to score 10 runs!’ manager Ron Gardenhire said.” It’s a shame no one told them about the Restoring Pitching Act of 2013, which was passed in a bipartisan fashion. You’ll note that no one violated that law last night.

Astros 8, Rangers 4: The Astros sweep the Rangers and have moved past them into fourth place in the AL West, at least by percentage points. Robbie Grossman and George Springer homered for the Astros.

Giants 5, Athletics 2: San Francisco finally takes one from Oakland as the series moves to the west side of the bay. Jason Hammel takes the loss in his A’s debut.

Royals 5, Rays 4: Sal Perez brought K.C. back with a three-run homer in the ninth. The Royals now have a four game series against Detroit at home to take them into the break. They’re four and a half back of the Tigers. Pretty big stuff here.

Phillies 4 ,Brewers 1: Not a great time for the Brewers to drop three in a row to the lowly Phillies. Their lead in the Central is now down to two over the Cardinals and two and a half over the surging Reds.

Cardinals 5, Pirates 2: No walkoff win this time, but still a win. Bad news, though, as Yadier Molina sprained his right thumb and had to have an MRI after the game. The results should be known this morning. They really can’t afford to lose him.

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on ThursdayHere’s the FanDuel link.

Red Sox 5, White Sox 4: Sox win. Boston was down 4-0 in the eighth when Chris Sale got chased, but then rallied for five runs over the final two innings. One of Sale’s runners scored and then the White Sox pen couldn’t lock it down in the ninth. Daniel Nave and Brock Holt had the big hits in the ninth.

Nationals 6, Orioles 2Doug Fister allowed two runs over seven innings and Washington hit three solo homers.

Reds 4, Cubs 1: A win, but a costly one for Cincy as they lose Billy Hamilton to a tweaked hamstring and as they watched Brandon Phillips roll over his left hand while attempting to make a play on an Anthony Rizzo grounder in the top of the eighth. Not great as the Pirates loom this weekend.

Yankees 5, Indians 4: Jacoby Ellsbury‘s two-out homer in the 14th inning caps a long, otherwise bad day for the Yankees. I mean, Masahiro Tanaka is apparently dead (source: rumors) and Carlos Beltran broke his nose during batting practice. Losing this game wouldn’t have been the worst thing that happened all day, but still.

1. unclemosesgreen - Jul 10, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Sawks are 1-0 in the post-Pierzynski era. Maybe this can be a new beginning for Boston. Last night’s walk off was engineered by some of the much-ballyhooed group of youngsters from the farm. The first wave looks good.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Booooo!

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Yeah yeah – I actually like A.J. He’s just not a very good catcher anymore. Time to transition to the booth.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:39 AM

P.S. the Oranje thoroughly deserved to lose yesterday. They played ugly, cynical soccer.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Soccer sucks. Eff that sport. The World Cup is stoopid.

• nbjays - Jul 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM

It’s spelled “stupied”… don’t be a looser.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Isn’t that “louser” for you?

• nbjays - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I don’t know what you are talking aboot…

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Y’all talk funny.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Morans.

2. karlkolchak - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Despite missing all of April due to injury, Doug Fister now leads the Nats’ staff in wins with eight. Heck of a trade by GM Mike Rizzo that just looks better with each start Fister makes.

• pmpott - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:38 AM

It’s too bad they couldn’t get him signed to an extension earlier this year. He’s going to cost a pretty penny to keep now.

• natstowngreg - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM

He was going to cost a pretty penny, regardless.

Now, he will likely cost more pretty pennies. Or, the same number of pennies, but prettier ones. Is it possible for a penny to be prettier? I suppose, when it’s just been minted, and all shiny and new.

Perhaps, the penny would be prettier if it didn’t have Abraham Lincoln’s picture engraved on one side. Great man, but it’s fair to say, he wasn’t much of a looker.

• philliesblow - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Would you rather have an Abe Lincoln penny or a Brad Penny?

• 4d3fect - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Who’s Doug Fister?

–ohh, you mean DOG Fister.

Carry on.

3. kycardsfan - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Hopefully Yadi’s injury isn’t serious. The cards are finally playing some good baseball!

• workin4theweekend - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM

As a Reds fan, I grant you one downvote. Enjoy.

• kevinbnyc - Jul 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I thought the Cardinals always played good baseball, respecting and enforcing the unwritten rules, in front of a pretty enthusiastic fan-base?

4. stex52 - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Astros sweep the Rangers. Who would have guessed at the start of the season that Houston would climb out of the cellar (for whatever time possible) on the backs of the Rangers? A few key injuries, a few management mistakes (Fielder for the biggest) and a likely contender is in the dumps.

And against Darvish, of all people. Betting on baseball is a fool’s game.

• renaado - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:37 AM

The Rangers season this year is a lost cause, due to to the amounts of injuries they’re havin.

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Nope. It’s because they have angered the Dogs. Listen: can’t you hear them howling?

• stex52 - Jul 10, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Whoever they angered, we need to make sure that the Marlins and Astros don’t do the same. It’s a pretty awesome death spiral.

Maybe a few libations to the Dogs are in order.

• renaado - Jul 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Note to self: I will never eat dogs, hear dog cuisine for the rest of my life…

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM

• tmc602014 - Jul 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Tell Pete Rose that last…

• stex52 - Jul 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Pete’s my proof.

5. philliesblow - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM

A sign of the end times: DKB was intentionally walked. The Dodgers did get the next batter out, but still, when was DKB seen as that big of a threat? Little League?

The Tigers have been on a bit of an odd streak recently. Lose 2 of 3 to the Astros, then sweep the A’s, lose 3 of 4 with the Rays and now win both with the Dodgers. If they could go back in time I think they’d sweep the ’27 Yankees but lose a series with the ’62 Mets.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Who the eff walks DKB???

I’m pretty sure this means we are dropping the series to the Royals. Sigh.

Oh, His Heterochromianess, y’all!

• philliesblow - Jul 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM

The Royals are over .500, so in the “Play to the Level of Your Opponent” narrative the Tigers have a chance to at least split.

• historiophiliac - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Honestly, I’m glad to be blacked out so I don’t have to watch to find out. Eat ‘em up, Tigers! Please.

6. sdelmonte - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Last night was the first time in almost a year that the Mets won 4 straight. Which I suppose beats those stretches when they had trouble winning three straight.

Travis d’Arnaud has been hitting markedly better since his return from Las Vegas. There’s a good feature about it at ESPN New York today.

And Tuesday was the 4,000th win in franchise history. Which the Astros reached last season.

• stex52 - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:34 AM

But the Mets have won two WS titles. That is one big thing that has not evened up yet.

• sdelmonte - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:38 AM

True that. But I would also say that Astros have been, till recently, a more stable club and that they’ve had a lot more great players. I guess it depends on what elements you look at.

Let’s wait till the teams face each other in the 2017 World Series and figure it out then.

• stex52 - Jul 10, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Dream big, eh? Mets have the pitchers coming up to be tough. I’m a big Harvey fan.

Next year will be a real measurement of progress for the Luhnow brain trust in Houston. Then hopefully in 2016 they reach consistent respectability again.

• natstowngreg - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

This was an opportunity for the Braves to put a little space between themselves and the Nats, before the break. Playing the Mets, while the Nats play the Orioles. Hasn’t worked out that way. Nats lead by one game (plus one percentage point).

We Nats fans could heap praise upon the Mets. However, the Nats must play the Mets 13 more times this season. So, a little love, but not too much. There was a bit of poetic justice in Dillon Gee shutting down the Braves, since he’s shut down the Nats several times over the past 3 seasons.

Aaron Harang vs. Bartolo Colon in Queens, Gio Gonzalez vs. Wei-Yin Chen in Bal’mer. Then, the Braves are off to Wrigley for the weekend, the Nats to Philly.

7. Old Gator - Jul 10, 2014 at 9:18 AM

No dreaming big for the Feesh. I tell yez, last night’s game was a bonerfied debbickle. Steve Cishek imploded like a burned out red giant, allowing a walk and four hits while getting nobody out in the bottom of the 10th. Dung karma, thy name is exter eenings. Any last pretenses the front orifice had of being a contender this year, even in the vast field of mediocrity that is the NL Least, got sucked into the Arizona event horizon. The strange attractor glitters fiercely in the firmament. Oddly enough, a few deluded souls on the Feesh web site continue to insist that the team is only “one or two pieces away” from contention and offer the absurdist plaint that one run losses are evidence of how “close” they are. Folks: forget it. A one run loss symbolizes how many home runs their cleanup hitter never hits. They titillated us with pleasant fantasies for a couple of months but this is how things really are. Incidentally, the Iron Giant has been floundering at the plate for a couple of weeks now, piling up strikeouts, getting under the ball, racking up ohfers. No coeenkeedeenkie that the team has skidded past the strange attractor in mute nostril agony, carefully refined and sealed over, while he’s been on the schneid. He needs to rest and take a deep, deep breath.

• stex52 - Jul 10, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Probably a good time for a break for a lot of guys. A lot of the league’s top hitters (Iron Giant for one) seem to be uppercutting and K’ing a lot. Perhaps a short break will turn out beneficial. I’m lookin’ at you, fantasy outfield. (Gomez, Cespedes, Cutch)

That Cishek was epic last night, wasn’t he? Reminds us that relief pitching is just about the most precarious profession existing.

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Yep, right up there with being point man on the bomb squad.

Speaking of precarious, what the hell happened to that replica of the Titanic they were supposed to be building in China?

8. luz56 - Jul 10, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Paul Goldschmidt is one of a couple bright spots in AZ…

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM

That’s good, because it’s been an apocalyptic decade for horned toads.

9. jarathen - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Something is seriously wrong with CJ Wilson. Since the calendar turned to June, he’s got a 6.81 ERA, with an .866 OPS against. So the average batter against CJ Wilson has a higher OPS than any Mariner.

10. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Those were some of the more painful 17.5 innings of the season. We got mauled by the Tigers. Harumph.

Back to the NL West for 4 days to mull things over. We’ve got to do better against the AL when facing the Angels later.

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I saw that. Good grief. Was it all Matt Kemp’s fault?

Incidentally, not that this has anything more to do with the Dodgers than anything else I’ve ever written, but you and Shayna will be bemused to know that I have ackcherley been trying, after a lifetime of promising myself that I would, to learn how to make hamentaschen. It’s orf-season for triangular prune filled pastries so none of my wife’s pals from Temple Beth Schlemiel is looking over my shoulder. Sadly, my first attempt at the prune filling has gone disastrously wrong and I am mainlining Kretschmer Wheat Germ and Kelloggs All Bran today.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Well, I’m not one to complain about Human Elements, but this whole debacle started with a 4-5 minute replay review that overturned a call that took, you know, 4-5 minutes of review in extra, super-duper slow motion to consider that, sheesh, that tag came a quarter-millisecond too late.

You’ve got 10 months to perfect those puff pastries.

• Shayna - Jul 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Calendrically speaking, Gator, you should be sprucing up your cheesecake and blintzes recipes in anticipation of the Nine Days, which start later this month.

And I don’t understand why anyone makes prune hamantaschen anyway. I like mine with lemon custard inside. Cherry filling is nice too. Be innovative! The real challenge is getting a good friable cookie recipe for the pastry covering.

As for the baseball season: I am in despair. Lind gone to DL now. What’s next?!?

• Old Gator - Jul 10, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Shayna – well, I do have my cappuccino chocolate fudge cheesecake recipe, my peanut butter dark chocolate chunk cheesecake recipe and, assuming someone with a jakfruit tree brings me one of their ripe hanging monsters in time, I also have a jakfruit-plantain-mango cheesecake recipe. So, I’m in good shape with that. For blintzes and pierogies, I have to confess to unmitigatable sloth. I can just buy Golden’s or Mrs. T’s frozen ones and embellish them with any number of tropical fruit sauces, compotes and salsas right from my own backyard. A while back I used to make faux blintzes with a good Swedish pancake mix but, well, you know, Swedish. Without lingonberries, they’re trapped between cultures like Kryptonian apostates in the phantom zone. My grandmother took her shtetl-era recipes to the pardes with her and they were pure true lamedvovnik cuisine, so I have never had the heart of try to match them. What would be the point? I would begin hearing Moische Oyshe in my head, and that’s like being inflicted with some parve auditory hallucination of Neil Diamond. No thanks.

As far as the crust, yes, I agree that’s the Mount Sinai every would be Jewish pastryman has to climb to receive his set of recipe tablets. It has to be firm, with crunch, yet just slightly chalky, and sweet-neutral precisely the right way to set orf the filling properly. It requires adventures in thermodynamics of which my grandmother was the very kitchen shekinah. I also enjoy some exotic fillings but the prunes were there, fully formed and waiting, the evening before Adonai created the universe and if my reading of the Beresheeth chapter of the Zohar is correct, he didn’t create the crust until the evening of the second day (I mean, let’s face it, something had to lubricate the aleph so that the rest of the universe could come pouring out of it, right?). So I’m afraid there’s no getting past perfecting the prune filling if I’m going to make this work.

Koufaxmitzvah, thanks for spotting me the ten months. I have a feeling I’m going to need it all.

• tmc602014 - Jul 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Gator, you are entertaining. But now I’m hungry.

• groupofsevenrules - Jul 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Then Gator has achieved his evil purpose. It made me hungry too. As a post-lapsarian gentile I had to look up “hamentaschen” and discovered that prunes were higher in vitamin C than citrus. I guess that must be why none of my Jewish friends ever come down with scurvy. Up here, that’s an achievement. Beaver won’t do much for it so we’re pretty much on our own.

Cappuccino fudge cheesecake. Dear Dog.

11. clydeserra - Jul 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM

the soft underbelly of the A’s was exposed last night. infield defense cost them two runs

• APBA Guy - Jul 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Clyde-how right you are. The other big problems, Hammel walking a bunch of guys, then having no fastball command out of the stretch, were compounded by the lackluster infield defense.

You know there could be trouble with Lowrie at short, Callaspo at 2nd, and Vogt at first with a ground-ball pitcher on the mound. and there was trouble. But it was Hammel (and O’Flaherty) causing the bigger issues.

I think Hammel should be ok. I got the feeling he was overthrowing-too pumped-for is A’s debut.

Cain was good, and the Giants bullpen was excellent, 0 runs and hits for 3 IP.

• clydeserra - Jul 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM

hammel seems to forget that you need more than 2 strikes.

12. penguins87and71 - Jul 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM

So are the Pirates the team that went 8-2 on the Homestand, or the team that has lost 3 straight to start this Roadtrip? The Pirates have a 11-24 record against the Cardinals, Brewers, and Reds. Until that turns around, then they aren’t contenders.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win