Jul 10, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
C.J. Wilson has been a mess in his last four starts and now the Angels have placed the left-hander on the disabled list with a sprained right ankle. Wilson made no mention of any ankle problems when speaking to the media following yesterday’s game.
Wilson failed to make it out of the fourth inning yesterday and hasn’t made it past five innings since June 19, allowing 22 runs in 16.2 innings during that span. Prior to the ugly stretch he was having a typical season with a 3.34 ERA and 93 strikeouts in 100 innings, basically matching his 2013 numbers.
Wilson’s rotation-mate Jered Weaver is also dealing with a lower back injury, although for now at least the Angels believe he’ll be able to take his next turn in the rotation and avoid the disabled list.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 25
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)