Jul 10, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Nelson will be promoted to the majors to start Saturday while Estrada is headed to the bullpen.
2:17 p.m. ET: Almost one month ago I wrote a post wondering when the Brewers would call up pitching prospect Jimmy Nelson from Triple-A and it sounds like the time has come.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel just wrote: “Don’t be surprised if the Brewers call up Jimmy Nelson to start Saturday against St. Louis. That’s all I’ll say for now.”
That’s a well-connected veteran beat reporter trying to be coy rather than fully committing to breaking the news, but it’s pretty safe to say Nelson is on the way to the majors.
For now Marco Estrada is scheduled to start Saturday, but he’s been terrible all season while serving up an NL-high 27 homers in 18 starts. Meanwhile, the 25-year-old Nelson has a 1.46 ERA and 114/32 K/BB ratio in 111 innings at Triple-A and has improved his stock dramatically this season by cutting his walks while maintaining an excellent strikeout rate.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 4
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 129
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (130)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)