Jul 10, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Nelson will be promoted to the majors to start Saturday while Estrada is headed to the bullpen.
2:17 p.m. ET: Almost one month ago I wrote a post wondering when the Brewers would call up pitching prospect Jimmy Nelson from Triple-A and it sounds like the time has come.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel just wrote: “Don’t be surprised if the Brewers call up Jimmy Nelson to start Saturday against St. Louis. That’s all I’ll say for now.”
That’s a well-connected veteran beat reporter trying to be coy rather than fully committing to breaking the news, but it’s pretty safe to say Nelson is on the way to the majors.
For now Marco Estrada is scheduled to start Saturday, but he’s been terrible all season while serving up an NL-high 27 homers in 18 starts. Meanwhile, the 25-year-old Nelson has a 1.46 ERA and 114/32 K/BB ratio in 111 innings at Triple-A and has improved his stock dramatically this season by cutting his walks while maintaining an excellent strikeout rate.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)