Jul 10, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
UPDATE: It’s official. Nelson will be promoted to the majors to start Saturday while Estrada is headed to the bullpen.
2:17 p.m. ET: Almost one month ago I wrote a post wondering when the Brewers would call up pitching prospect Jimmy Nelson from Triple-A and it sounds like the time has come.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel just wrote: “Don’t be surprised if the Brewers call up Jimmy Nelson to start Saturday against St. Louis. That’s all I’ll say for now.”
That’s a well-connected veteran beat reporter trying to be coy rather than fully committing to breaking the news, but it’s pretty safe to say Nelson is on the way to the majors.
For now Marco Estrada is scheduled to start Saturday, but he’s been terrible all season while serving up an NL-high 27 homers in 18 starts. Meanwhile, the 25-year-old Nelson has a 1.46 ERA and 114/32 K/BB ratio in 111 innings at Triple-A and has improved his stock dramatically this season by cutting his walks while maintaining an excellent strikeout rate.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)