Jul 10, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
The Cardinals and Reds were both dealt some tough blows on the injury front today, but the Brewers are doing their part to let them hang around in the National League Central. The Phillies defeated the Brewers 9-1 this afternoon at Miller Park in Milwaukee to complete a four-game sweep.
Matt Garza was the story early on in this one, as he didn’t give up his first hit until Jimmy Rollins led off the top of the seventh inning with a single. The Brewers held a 1-0 lead before Garza was pulled with two on and two outs in the eighth inning. It was all downhill from there, at least if you are a Brewers fan. The Phillies ended up scoring seven runs in the inning and sent 12 batters to the plate. Rollins, Ryan Howard, Cody Asche, and Domonic Brown all drove in runs in the stunning rally. Howard added a two-run homer in the ninth to officially make it a laugher.
The Brewers have now lost five games in a row and nine out of their last 10. While Ron Roenicke’s club still owns the National League’s best record at 52-41, they are now just one game up in the loss column over the second-place Cardinals. The two clubs will finish off the first half with a series this weekend in Milwaukee.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)