Jul 10, 2014, 3:48 PM EST
UPDATE: Beltran has been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list, in addition to having facial fractures. To replace him on the roster the Yankees have called Yangervis Solarte back up from Triple-A, where he was demoted last week following a brutal prolonged slump.
Carlos Beltran was scratched from the Yankees’ lineup last night when a ball he hit during batting practice bounced off the screen protecting the pitcher and struck his eye. And now he’s been diagnosed with two facial fractures, but they’ve been classified as “small” and the Yankees think he’ll avoid the disabled list.
He did, however, admit to having “a headache for the whole day” and given the various concussion-related protocols in place it’s possible he’ll need to sit out more than just a game or two.
The injury just adds to what has been a miserable first season with the Yankees for Beltran, who’s struggled offensively and been unable to play defensively because of elbow and knee problems.
He’s making $15 million this season with another $15 million due in both 2015 and 2016, but the 37-year-old has hit just .216 with nine homers and a .671 OPS in 61 games. Certainly some decline was expected at Beltran’s age, but he hit .296 with 24 homers and an .830 OPS for the Cardinals last season and has posted an OPS above .800 in seven of the past eight years.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 5
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 19
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)