Jul 10, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
For the past couple of years Major League Baseball has run a little American Idol-style contest to give players who didn’t make the All-Star team a chance to make it. It’s called The Final Vote, and it gives fans a few days to vote online and through social media for one of five finalists. It’s a program that encourages campaigns and hashtags and all kinds of nonsense which, for the most part is kind of fun, even if it clogs up our Twitter feeds for a couple of days.
But now the Final Vote is over and the results are in:
The creative campaigns are over. Twitter voting ended in a furious rally. And at the end of the four-day online voting program, it is Chris Sale of the Chicago White Sox and Anthony Rizzo of the Chicago Cubs who were chosen by fans as the winners of the 2014 All-Star Game MLB.com Final Vote Sponsored by Experian. Sale and Rizzo earned the final two AL and NL All-Star Team roster spots through online voting on MLB.com, the individual Club sites and Twitter, where designated player hashtags counted during the final six hours of voting.
Rizzo beat out Justin Morneau, even though Morneau had the entire nation of Canada behind him. Of course, in a battle between Canadian democracy and Chicago politics, take Chicago every time.
That may explain Chris Sale’s win too. I mean, set aside the fact that he totally deserves to be on the All-Star team. Clearly his victory over Garrett Richards was a function of The Chicago Way. Richards belongs too, of course. I would assume that an “injury” to a current All-Star will get him there. It always seems to happen that way.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)