Jul 10, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Jason Vargas‘ strong first half ends on a sad note, as the Royals left-hander underwent an appendectomy Wednesday and is expected to miss at least 3-4 weeks.
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Bruce Chen will step into Vargas’ rotation spot after posting a 7.11 ERA in 25 innings so far this season. Chen did have a 3.61 ERA in 15 starts for the Royals last year. The good news, according to McCullough, is that Vargas’ appendix didn’t burst and he was able to make it to the hospital after waking up with severe abdominal pain at 4:00 am.
Signed to a four-year, $32 million contract this offseason that draw quite a bit of criticism, Vargas has a career-best 3.31 ERA and was on pace for a career-high 225 innings after throwing just 150 innings for the Angels last year.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)