Jul 10, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
Jason Vargas‘ strong first half ends on a sad note, as the Royals left-hander underwent an appendectomy Wednesday and is expected to miss at least 3-4 weeks.
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Bruce Chen will step into Vargas’ rotation spot after posting a 7.11 ERA in 25 innings so far this season. Chen did have a 3.61 ERA in 15 starts for the Royals last year. The good news, according to McCullough, is that Vargas’ appendix didn’t burst and he was able to make it to the hospital after waking up with severe abdominal pain at 4:00 am.
Signed to a four-year, $32 million contract this offseason that draw quite a bit of criticism, Vargas has a career-best 3.31 ERA and was on pace for a career-high 225 innings after throwing just 150 innings for the Angels last year.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 7
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)