Jul 10, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Jason Vargas‘ strong first half ends on a sad note, as the Royals left-hander underwent an appendectomy Wednesday and is expected to miss at least 3-4 weeks.
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Bruce Chen will step into Vargas’ rotation spot after posting a 7.11 ERA in 25 innings so far this season. Chen did have a 3.61 ERA in 15 starts for the Royals last year. The good news, according to McCullough, is that Vargas’ appendix didn’t burst and he was able to make it to the hospital after waking up with severe abdominal pain at 4:00 am.
Signed to a four-year, $32 million contract this offseason that draw quite a bit of criticism, Vargas has a career-best 3.31 ERA and was on pace for a career-high 225 innings after throwing just 150 innings for the Angels last year.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 5
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 61
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 17
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 7
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 60
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (145)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)