Jul 10, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Jason Vargas‘ strong first half ends on a sad note, as the Royals left-hander underwent an appendectomy Wednesday and is expected to miss at least 3-4 weeks.
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Bruce Chen will step into Vargas’ rotation spot after posting a 7.11 ERA in 25 innings so far this season. Chen did have a 3.61 ERA in 15 starts for the Royals last year. The good news, according to McCullough, is that Vargas’ appendix didn’t burst and he was able to make it to the hospital after waking up with severe abdominal pain at 4:00 am.
Signed to a four-year, $32 million contract this offseason that draw quite a bit of criticism, Vargas has a career-best 3.31 ERA and was on pace for a career-high 225 innings after throwing just 150 innings for the Angels last year.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (354)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)