Jul 10, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
Some players on the Phillies are cagey about being willing to waive no-trade protection to go to another team. Jonathan Papelbon is a lot of things, but cagey is not one of them. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com asked him if he’d waive his limited no-trade clause to go to a contender. Papelbon’s response: hells yeah!
Papelbon was incredulous that a player would not want to move from a losing team to a contending team.
“What?” he said.
“Some guys want to stay on a losing team?” he said.
“That’s mind-boggling to me,” he said.
So if a contender called, you’re ready to go?
“Yeah,” Papelbon said with an are-you-kidding-me laugh. “I think that’s a no-brainer.”
He did note that he would have mixed feelings about it all as he likes his teammates and thinks (correctly) that the Phillies’ pen has really come together of late. But make no mistake, he wants to be in the playoffs and would gladly accept a trade to be there.
I think anyone in this situation is entitled to whatever thoughts they have on it. If Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley say they wouldn’t go or Papelbon says he would, well, those are their feelings. Notably, these conversations always come up when there aren’t actual trades on the table and the question put to the players is merely hypothetical. Lost in it all, usually, is that the players have earned the right to make this choice, either through longevity or negotiation, so we can’t really begrudge them for whatever their choices on the matter happen to be.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (150)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)