Jul 10, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
The field for next week’s Home Run Derby is officially in place.
MLB just announced that Josh Donaldson of the Athletics has been added to the American League squad. Meanwhile, Justin Morneau of the Rockies has been named as the final participant for the National League.
Toronto’s Jose Bautista is the captain for the American League and will also be joined by Orioles center fielder Adam Jones, Twins second baseman Brian Dozier, and Athletics left fielder Yoenis Cespedes. Morneau’s teammate, Troy Tulowitzki, is the captain for the National League and also has Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton, Dodgers right fielder Yasiel Puig, and Reds third baseman Todd Frazier on his side. Cespedes won the whole thing last year.
The 2014 Home Run Derby will take place next Monday night (8 p.m. ET) at Target Field, the site of this year’s All-Star Game. The hometown crowd will rooting for Dozier, but Morneau figures to get a lot of support in his return to Minnesota.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 5
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)