Jul 10, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
Grady Sizemore joined the Phillies on a minor league contract after he was released by the Red Sox late last month and Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that he has been added to the major league roster.
Sizemore batted .289 (13-for-35) with one home run and one double over 10 games during his time Triple-A Lehigh Valley. After missing two seasons due to injury, the 31-year-old hit just .216 with two home runs and a .612 OPS in 52 games before the Red Sox cut ties with him last month, but he could play a few days a week in Philadelphia’s outfield. For what it’s worth, he saw playing time at all three outfield spots in Triple-A.
The Phillies transferred left-hander Cliff Lee from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list in order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Sizemore, but that was strictly a procedural move. He’s still on track to return from the disabled list next Friday against the Braves.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)