Jul 10, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Last fall we learned that Derek Jeter was starting his own publishing business in a partnership with Simon & Schuster. The first book is coming out in September. You can pre-order it now. It’s called “The Contract” and it’s for middle school readers. This is the description:
As a young boy, Derek Jeter dreams of begin the shortstop for the New York Yankees. He even imagines himself in the World Series. So when Derek is chosen for the Little League Tigers, he hopes to play shortstop. But on the day of the assignments, Derek Starts at second base. Still, he tries his best while he wishes and dreams of that shortstop spot. And to help him stay focused on school, his parents make him a contract: keep up the grades or no baseball. Derek makes sure he always plays his best game—on and off the baseball field!
Sounds like the coach of the Little League Tigers is the only person with the guts and baseball savvy to put Jeter at his natural position. Good for him!
Seriously, though: I think the publishing idea is pretty neat. Probably a way, way better way to expand the Jeter brand and make some bank than what most ballplayers cook up after retirement. Youth publishing is huge and it’s a worthy genre. You all know how much I dislike Mike Lupica? Well, he writes sports books for kids too, and they’re actually really good for that age group. Just a lot of positives to be had in this world and I’m glad Jeter is doing it.
Although, for the sake of “contributor” Paul Mantell, I wish Jeter was getting credit as “producer” or something instead of author, because I’m pretty skeptical that Jetes actually wrote this thing. Guess selling books trumps actual credit though.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)