Giancarlo Stanton is the favorite to win the Home Run Derby

Jul 11, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT

giancarlo stanton getty Getty Images

If you’re into gambling on random things the Home Run Derby is perfect for you. The field is set, and now Vegas has weighed in. The odds, courtesy of Bovada:

Giancarlo Stanton: 2/1
Yoenis Cespedes: 5/1
Jose Bautista: 5/1
Yasiel Puig: 6/1
Troy Tulowitzki: 13/2
Josh Donaldson: 10/1
Adam Jones: 12/1
Brian Dozier: 12/1
Todd Frazier: 12/1
Justin Morneau: 15/1

I feel like they’re sleeping on Todd Frazier, but then again, I’d never gamble on this kind of thing.

1. greej1938l - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Dumb to even have odds.

2. thomas844 - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Frazier was described by MLB Network as an old school power hitter, in other words, a guy who doesn’t have good form but just lets loose and swings hard. He has hit homers 470-480 feet multiple times throughout his career. I think Stanton will win, but I also think either Frazier or Cespedes will be the runner-up.

3. Old Gator - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:35 AM

I hope the oddsmakers have taken into consideration how poorly the Iron Giant has been hitting for the last few weeks. He’s been taking terrible swings and been far too willing to let opposing pitchers define his strike zone for him. No doubt he’s frustrated by being constantly pitched around but that’s been as much the fault of the cockamamie lineup in which his manager has situated him as anything else. Maybe having someone feeding him meatballs will bring out the slumbering beast. I’d love to see him crush a bunch.

• natstowngreg - Jul 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM

As a fellow old fart, you probably remember the Home Run Derby weekly TV show in the 60s. Where two noted sluggers would face off each week. [Kids, imagine, watching Hank Aaron or Frank Robinson vs. Mickey Mantle or Harmon Killebrew in a homer hitting contest.]

As I recall, it was filmed at the old Wrigley Field in L.A., where the Angels played a couple of seasons in their infancy. But then, I can’t recall what I had for lunch, and I’m still eating it.

• Old Gator - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Oh I do indeed. Damn – Mark Scott died just after filming concluded on the first season of the series. I can still remember his voice – classic oldtime glottal-stop, long before all these modern honking and kazoo-impersonating spawrtscassters with deviated septums took over the airwaves.

4. mybrunoblog - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:42 AM

What’s is weirder? The fact that there are odds on who will win the HR Derby or the idea that someone actually cares about the HR Derby?

• sophiethegreatdane - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I’m not much of a gambler, but I know people who will bet on damn near anything. Seems to make perfect sense for odds-makers to publish some odds so that they can, you know, make money.

• Old Gator - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM

The home run derby can be a lot of fun, in and of itself. Unfortunately, the networks’ insistence on embellishing it with all sorts of rules, endless vapid blabbery and a vomit of dumb commercials has really bled the fun out of it. It might as well be an ad painted on the side of a transit bus.

I will still be watching to see not so much how many home runs the Iron Giant jacks, but how far they go. Come on now. He can be terrifying. We can still enjoy that aspect of it, surely?

5. kopy - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Morneau looks like a great bet. 15/1 seems too low for someone who has one a Home Run Derby before.

6. Eutaw's Finest - Jul 11, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Gambling is gambling. Doesn’t matter how pertinent the HR Derby is, or who cares about it. There’s probably odds out there on whether or not Adam Jones blows a bubble on 50% or more of his HR’s. And people will bet.

Speaking of AJ, I have zero faith in him at the Derby. Not that he’s a bad hitter just not a big power guy like the rest of these brutes. He’ll be gone round one. But nice to get the recognition!

• sophiethegreatdane - Jul 11, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I love Adam Jones, and at the same time, he drives me banana-sandwich. I was surprised by Jone’s inclusion too, but you never know who is going to step up at the derby. I hope he does well!

And I also hope his pitcher doesn’t tempt him with outside sliders in the dirt. :D

7. drewy44 - Jul 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Yoenis Cespedes at 5/1 is intriguing, but I think there are better hitters this year than last. He won’t be meeting Bryce Harper in the finals.

8. shanabartels - Jul 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I’m sad you didn’t use the usual gambling graphic.

9. tmc602014 - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I like Morneau. I voted for him. However, he doesn’t deserve to be in the HRD this year. They got the wrong Justin.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3323)