Jul 11, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Marco Scutaro has finally returned from the disabled list. Per the Giants official Twitter, the club has activated him from the 60-day DL and designated Brandon Hicks for assignment. Scutaro will be in Saturday’s starting lineup for the Giants.
Scutaro, 38, has yet to play in a game this season due to chronic back discomfort. He is earning $6 million this season, the second year of a three-year, $20 million deal signed with the Giants in December 2012. Last season, Scutaro slashed .297/.357/.369 in 547 plate appearances.
Hicks, despite playing above-average defense at shortstop, didn’t hit nearly enough to merit relegation to the bench. In 242 plate appearances, Hicks slashed .162/.280/.319 with eight home runs and 22 RBI. Hicks, 28, joined the Giants as a minor league free agent back in November.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11