Jul 11, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Marco Scutaro has finally returned from the disabled list. Per the Giants official Twitter, the club has activated him from the 60-day DL and designated Brandon Hicks for assignment. Scutaro will be in Saturday’s starting lineup for the Giants.
Scutaro, 38, has yet to play in a game this season due to chronic back discomfort. He is earning $6 million this season, the second year of a three-year, $20 million deal signed with the Giants in December 2012. Last season, Scutaro slashed .297/.357/.369 in 547 plate appearances.
Hicks, despite playing above-average defense at shortstop, didn’t hit nearly enough to merit relegation to the bench. In 242 plate appearances, Hicks slashed .162/.280/.319 with eight home runs and 22 RBI. Hicks, 28, joined the Giants as a minor league free agent back in November.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)