Jul 11, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Marco Scutaro has finally returned from the disabled list. Per the Giants official Twitter, the club has activated him from the 60-day DL and designated Brandon Hicks for assignment. Scutaro will be in Saturday’s starting lineup for the Giants.
Scutaro, 38, has yet to play in a game this season due to chronic back discomfort. He is earning $6 million this season, the second year of a three-year, $20 million deal signed with the Giants in December 2012. Last season, Scutaro slashed .297/.357/.369 in 547 plate appearances.
Hicks, despite playing above-average defense at shortstop, didn’t hit nearly enough to merit relegation to the bench. In 242 plate appearances, Hicks slashed .162/.280/.319 with eight home runs and 22 RBI. Hicks, 28, joined the Giants as a minor league free agent back in November.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)