Jul 11, 2014, 9:09 PM EST
Marco Scutaro has finally returned from the disabled list. Per the Giants official Twitter, the club has activated him from the 60-day DL and designated Brandon Hicks for assignment. Scutaro will be in Saturday’s starting lineup for the Giants.
Scutaro, 38, has yet to play in a game this season due to chronic back discomfort. He is earning $6 million this season, the second year of a three-year, $20 million deal signed with the Giants in December 2012. Last season, Scutaro slashed .297/.357/.369 in 547 plate appearances.
Hicks, despite playing above-average defense at shortstop, didn’t hit nearly enough to merit relegation to the bench. In 242 plate appearances, Hicks slashed .162/.280/.319 with eight home runs and 22 RBI. Hicks, 28, joined the Giants as a minor league free agent back in November.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)