Jul 11, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Not only did the Phillies call up Grady Sizemore from Triple-A, he’s starting in center field and leading off in his Philadelphia debut tonight.
Philadelphia’s usual center fielder and leadoff man, Ben Revere, is out of the starting lineup for the second straight game because of an ankle injury.
Sizemore made a dozen starts in center field for the Red Sox before they released him last month, but played primarily the corner spots and also hit just .187 in his final 42 games.
Signed to a minor-league deal by the Phillies, he batted .283 with one homer and a .723 OPS in 11 games at Triple-A to convince them he was ready to return to the majors. And now they’re throwing him right into the fire.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)