Jul 11, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Not only did the Phillies call up Grady Sizemore from Triple-A, he’s starting in center field and leading off in his Philadelphia debut tonight.
Philadelphia’s usual center fielder and leadoff man, Ben Revere, is out of the starting lineup for the second straight game because of an ankle injury.
Sizemore made a dozen starts in center field for the Red Sox before they released him last month, but played primarily the corner spots and also hit just .187 in his final 42 games.
Signed to a minor-league deal by the Phillies, he batted .283 with one homer and a .723 OPS in 11 games at Triple-A to convince them he was ready to return to the majors. And now they’re throwing him right into the fire.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 0
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 86
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)