Jul 11, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Not only did the Phillies call up Grady Sizemore from Triple-A, he’s starting in center field and leading off in his Philadelphia debut tonight.
Philadelphia’s usual center fielder and leadoff man, Ben Revere, is out of the starting lineup for the second straight game because of an ankle injury.
Sizemore made a dozen starts in center field for the Red Sox before they released him last month, but played primarily the corner spots and also hit just .187 in his final 42 games.
Signed to a minor-league deal by the Phillies, he batted .283 with one homer and a .723 OPS in 11 games at Triple-A to convince them he was ready to return to the majors. And now they’re throwing him right into the fire.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)