Jul 11, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Joe Kelly is back off the disabled list and ready to rejoin the Cardinals’ rotation tonight against the Brewers after missing the past two-plus months with a hamstring injury that was supposed to involve a much speedier recovery.
Kelly made three minor-league rehab starts at Triple-A, throwing 10.1 innings with a 2.61 ERA, but he also had more walks (6) than strikeouts (4) and failed to make it out of the fifth inning in any of the outings. He maxed out at 72 pitches in his most recent Triple-A start, so Kelly may be on a somewhat limited pitch count tonight.
St. Louis’ rotation has been wrecked by injuries and Kelly had a 0.59 ERA in three starts before being shut down, giving him a 2.83 ERA in 34 career starts in addition to his bullpen work.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 22
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)