Joe Kelly rejoins the Cardinals for his first start since April

Jul 11, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT

Joe Kelly Getty Getty Images

Joe Kelly is back off the disabled list and ready to rejoin the Cardinals’ rotation tonight against the Brewers after missing the past two-plus months with a hamstring injury that was supposed to involve a much speedier recovery.

Kelly made three minor-league rehab starts at Triple-A, throwing 10.1 innings with a 2.61 ERA, but he also had more walks (6) than strikeouts (4) and failed to make it out of the fifth inning in any of the outings. He maxed out at 72 pitches in his most recent Triple-A start, so Kelly may be on a somewhat limited pitch count tonight.

St. Louis’ rotation has been wrecked by injuries and Kelly had a 0.59 ERA in three starts before being shut down, giving him a 2.83 ERA in 34 career starts in addition to his bullpen work.

1. stlouis1baseball - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:27 PM

As I said…(2 – 4) weeks means (4 – 8) weeks. Gotta’ read between the lines. Admittedly, that is very hard to do when they blur them on a regular basis.

Sorry…for some reason I have been bitter since Wednesday night.

• ereed1286 - Jul 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM

There’s a reason for everyone to be bitter this year…

Mine is Matheny’s infatuation on putting in Rosenthal EVERY chance he can when (in Wednesday night’s case) you have a guy like Neshek who can do the job just fine.

• jtorrey13 - Jul 11, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Exactly! I’m afraid of Rosenthal’s arm falling off. Fortunately Carlos Martinez is safe for now.

But, usually before the Matheny bullpen decisions get me in the gut, the one that causes me to pull out my hair is his penchant for allowing PITCHERS TO HIT WHEN HE PLANS ON REMOVING THEM FROM THE GAME.

Oh, and I can already tell that his insistence to play Craig (especially against a RHP like tonight) in RF over Tavares will drive me batty before the game starts.

Irritating. Irritating.

2. okwhitefalcon - Jul 11, 2014 at 6:24 PM

I’m happy Kelly is back but in reality, he’s another 5 inning, low strike out, high walk rate/WHIP guy.

Another (possible) massive drain on an already exposed bullpen.

I’m obviously still bitter about Wednesday as well…

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 11, 2014 at 6:31 PM

But, he runs like the wind! (Well, in his own mind.)

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 11, 2014 at 8:42 PM

And he does funny dances in the outfield during pregame ;)

And appears to be throwing BP in the first inning between hitting and walking guys while running his pitch count up to a bazillion.

Welcome back Joe, welcome back.

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 12, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Yeah, he sure spit the bit tonight.

3. cincinata - Jul 12, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I was surprised to see Kelly did so poorly last night. He usually has good outings against the Reds. I am afraid with the Reds injuries, if Kelly is back all the way, we will have a hard time overtaking the cards, but came close last night.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3318)