Jul 11, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina will be out 8-12 weeks due to a torn ligament in his right thumb. As a result, the six-time All-Star will be unable to represent the National League at Target Field in Minnesota next week. Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero has been named as his replacement.
The Molina injury also means that Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy, who drew the ire of Cardinals fans when an attack ad was released on his behalf, will start behind the plate for the National League.
The Diamondbacks now have two All-Stars with Montero and first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. The Cardinals have four: Molina, starter Adam Wainwright, third baseman Matt Carpenter, and reliever Pat Neshek. The Brewers also have four: Lucroy, outfielder Carlos Gomez, third baseman Aramis Ramirez, and reliever Francisco Rodriguez.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 99
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 17
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39