Jul 11, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina will be out 8-12 weeks due to a torn ligament in his right thumb. As a result, the six-time All-Star will be unable to represent the National League at Target Field in Minnesota next week. Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero has been named as his replacement.
The Molina injury also means that Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy, who drew the ire of Cardinals fans when an attack ad was released on his behalf, will start behind the plate for the National League.
The Diamondbacks now have two All-Stars with Montero and first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. The Cardinals have four: Molina, starter Adam Wainwright, third baseman Matt Carpenter, and reliever Pat Neshek. The Brewers also have four: Lucroy, outfielder Carlos Gomez, third baseman Aramis Ramirez, and reliever Francisco Rodriguez.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 41
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 23
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 34
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 78
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 87
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)