Jul 11, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune reports that Pirates manager Clint Hurdle isn’t anticipating Gerrit Cole returning from the disabled list when he is first eligible, on July 20. There is presently no timetable for his return, but the end of July or the first week of August would seem to be a realistic target barring any setbacks.
Cole, who shut the Phillies out on one hit over five innings on July 4, has been on the disabled list since with a strained lat in his right shoulder. Aside from the injury, the 23-year-old right-hander has had a good season, posting a 3.78 ERA with a 78/29 K/BB ratio in 85 2/3 innings over 14 starts.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)