Jul 11, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune reports that Pirates manager Clint Hurdle isn’t anticipating Gerrit Cole returning from the disabled list when he is first eligible, on July 20. There is presently no timetable for his return, but the end of July or the first week of August would seem to be a realistic target barring any setbacks.
Cole, who shut the Phillies out on one hit over five innings on July 4, has been on the disabled list since with a strained lat in his right shoulder. Aside from the injury, the 23-year-old right-hander has had a good season, posting a 3.78 ERA with a 78/29 K/BB ratio in 85 2/3 innings over 14 starts.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)