Jul 11, 2014, 5:04 PM EDT
The Cubs got approval last year for a massive renovation project. Then they decided that they needed to make a lot of tweaks to the plan, and had to submit for approval again. They got it yesterday:
The Chicago Cubs today got the green light from Commission of Chicago Landmarks to put up a total of seven signs above the bleachers at Wrigley Field and move its bullpens beyond the outfield walls . . . The team now has the city’s blessing to put up three 650-square-foot advertising signs above the left field bleachers as well as a 3,990-square-foot video board (reduced from the previously approved 4,560-square-feet), as well as two more ad signs and a 2,400-square-foot video board above the right field stands.
This does not solve the impasse the team has with the owners of the rooftops across Waveland and Sheffield Avenues — indeed, it may exacerbate it — but that is a financial matter, not a formal barrier, one assumes. Like, if they just tell the rooftop owners to pound sand, at most they will have to pay them a lot of money.
As of now, however, the Wrigley renovations can start.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)