Jul 11, 2014, 5:04 PM EDT
The Cubs got approval last year for a massive renovation project. Then they decided that they needed to make a lot of tweaks to the plan, and had to submit for approval again. They got it yesterday:
The Chicago Cubs today got the green light from Commission of Chicago Landmarks to put up a total of seven signs above the bleachers at Wrigley Field and move its bullpens beyond the outfield walls . . . The team now has the city’s blessing to put up three 650-square-foot advertising signs above the left field bleachers as well as a 3,990-square-foot video board (reduced from the previously approved 4,560-square-feet), as well as two more ad signs and a 2,400-square-foot video board above the right field stands.
This does not solve the impasse the team has with the owners of the rooftops across Waveland and Sheffield Avenues — indeed, it may exacerbate it — but that is a financial matter, not a formal barrier, one assumes. Like, if they just tell the rooftop owners to pound sand, at most they will have to pay them a lot of money.
As of now, however, the Wrigley renovations can start.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)